My Thoughts On Newtown...

Ashley Pires
Being from the state of Connecticut and only living 15 minutes away from Newtown, this horrific act took me by surprise. It was a huge shock for the world but more shocking for Connecticut residents who thought nothing like this could ever happen. It wasn’t until I visited Newtown myself, bringing little reindeer ornaments with the victims names on it to hang on the trees that I actually truly and honestly realized what is happening to our society.
When something this horrific happens what do we even do? Where do we go? Watching the news every hour, and as the story began to unfold on national television, questions were not being answered yet were being asked. “How could someone do something this awful?” is a question that has undoubtedly crossed everyone’s mind. But through all these questions the little things don’t matter except for what can we do to prevent this from happening in our future. And that revolves around gun control.
Who do we allow to purchase guns and whom do we forbid this from? How do we know someone purchasing a gun has plans to do something as horrific as this again? Unfortunately, we don’t. These are questions we cannot answer. Barack Obama has been going through a very tough time trying to figure out what to do, and how to lead our country out of this mess. Since the United States has the most mass shootings we need to look at different countries policies relating to gun control and see what we are doing differently. Everyone claims they need guns for protection but before this all happened having a gun for protection was never a necessity. However, now with our crime rate building it is only normal to want to feel safe and protected. But what can we do to feel protected but keep the purchase of guns to a minimum?
The process of purchasing a gun now requires you to apply for a permit. In some countries, it is required to pass some sort of psychological test before receiving the certification for buying a gun. I feel that the United States needs to adapt this into the process of being able to purchase a gun. This will eliminate some people with mental illness who have plans to use a gun for the wrong reasons from obtaining a gun, but not all of them. As much as we try to deny it, guns will always be a part of our world. It is not that we should stop the distribution of guns and allow no one to be able to obtain one, but it is finding a professional and successful process of categorizing people who honestly and truly need them for protection or hunting from others who plan on committing a crime.
This Newtown school shooting has opened up the eyes of many. We live in a world where there is always going to be death, sickness, and crime, that is inevitable. However, adapting a new outlook on gun control and creating a new process on being able to obtain a gun will help lower those statistics. It is our jobs as Americans to work together to create a better country where all of us feel comfortable living in.