My Thoughts on Newtown: Gun Control?

dsaint1212
Gun control has been a debate in our country for the longest time. Every citizen has a view on this issue, whether to leave it as is or control it. In our Constitution, American citizens are allowed to own a gun with a permit. This amendment goes back to when the constitution was established and has been in effect ever since. Each side of the conflict has many supporting ideas but in my opinion there is a correct choice.
For all the people who think it would be a smart idea to banish our gun law, are quite senseless. The fact that as an American citizen we are able to obtain a gun has very little effect if not none on crime rates. Criminals with or without gun laws would be able to obtain a gun regardless, they don’t follow the law. I believe suppressing guns would only hurt American citizens. We would be unable to defend ourselves, giving criminals only more incentive to execute a crime. If a criminal wants to kill someone they will find a way to do it. Guns do not kill people, people kill people.
In America guns are an important part of our lives. They are used as protection by the majority of Americans and without them a lot of us would feel defenseless. In some parts of this country guns are needed to keep safe from threatening animals or people. Truth is we live in a scary world and do not know what is coming around the corner. More and more people feel unsafe and guns give us a sense of security. The sad reality is the only way to stop an insane gunman is with a bullet, trying to sweet talk will only get one killed. Yes, a gun can be dangerous but we tend to forget all the other dangers in this world such as automobiles and alcohol.
Recently there was a tragedy in Newtown which involved a shooting at an elementary school. This was very hard to hear and caught everyone off guard. Whenever a tragedy like this occurs in this nation though the first thing people blame is the gun law. With or without that law that psychopath would of obtained guns and committed the same amount of damage.
Maybe in America it is a little too easy to obtain a gun and psychological test are needed but banning guns is not the answer. From a person who has never owned or used a gun I can say that. It is our right to protect our self in case of an incident. Bottom line is that more harm would come in the end if our second amendment went away.

Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura