My Thoughts on New Town: Regulations to Think About

Rachel.Ebbrecht
Where do we go after the Newtown school shooting? Gun control is a challenging topic to discuss but how many more schools, churches, hospitals, and shopping malls do we have to hear about before the discussion begins. Although I believe guns should only be used in recreational sports like hunting, many people have guns for protection. Although all of the shootings are tragic, whether it’s a single murder or a group, the Newtown shooting and murder of innocent children and brave teachers makes us rethink the protection strategies and gun control options heading into the New Year.
I believe there needs to be tighter security in schools to protect the mass murders we hear about recently as a regular topic in the news. All parents and visitors should have to receive a CORI check before being allowed to enter a school and every school should have a police officer on duty to control the safety issues. The program ‘Rachel’s Challenge’ was discussed and presented to my high school twice while I was there and the topic related to school shootings and safety and prevention. It was presented to stop gun problems in school systems and the protection of students and children is the first priority to be discussed.
Second is the gun control problems and how to regulate who has a gun, the types of guns they can own, and the process of obtaining a gun. Our president and government leaders need to find a way to keep guns out of the hands of drug abusers, the mentally ill and all criminals. There needs to be a background check and sanity tests and teaching programs before anyone receives a gun or gun license. There should also be a ban on how many you can own and renewals of gun licenses to prove it is in your possession and you are still mentally stable to keep it in your possession. Anything we can do to protect the innocent lives that are ruined from gun control violence needs to be addressed and talked about and overtime a solution will be obtained.
Celebrities are starting to use their fame and voice in our country to bring up to topic of gun violence. On their website they have come to a conclusion of laws they want our government leaders to pass. They want to require a criminal background check for every gun sold in America, ban assault weapons and high-capacity ammunition magazines, and make gun trafficking a federal crime, with real penalties (Demand a Plan). The steps they are taking are bringing the attention to stopping gun violence and keep our country from have a list of 72,000 names of Americans murdered by gun violence in the last six years.

Work Cited

"Demand A Plan to End Gun Violence." Demand a Plan. Mayors Against Illegal Guns, n.d. Web. 23 Jan. 2013.