My Thoughts on Newtown: What Should Happen After Newtown?

korinaelizabeth
Just about a month ago, a tragedy occurred in Newtown, Connecticut. Sandy Hook Elementary School doesn’t happen to be very far from where I come from; Long Island. Twenty-seven people were shot and killed in a tragic shooting. Many of the deaths were of pure, innocent, angelic children. Lives of teachers were also very tragically taken. The United States has seen too many tragedies that relate to control and possession of guns. As the statistical numbers are rising, where do we go from Newtown?
Where I am from on Long Island, it is very uncommon for a common person to own a gun, unless of course for law enforcement jobs held by police officers. But, in other cases, being from a rural part of the country it becomes more common and more sport to own a gun then for violence. There becomes a fine line between sports and recreation and violence and I believe that begins with sanity.
In the United States we are required to be permitted for guns, which makes perfect sense. But, do we know if these people we are giving permits are mentally stable? Legal guns are also not where many of our problems are coming from. The amount of illegal assault weapons out on our streets is frightening. People who want these guns will get them weather they are legal or not. Outlawing guns will not stop our problem; it would be nearly impossible to get a hold of all of them in a realistic amount of time.
The process to obtain guns should be made more strict and effective. In order to obtain a gun I believe citizens must complete a full psychoanalysis that is accurately rated before being permitted to own guns. Yes, this process may be a bit tedious, but it will be well worth it in the scheme of things and safety of our country. Also, outlawing guns in the United States would be unrealistic for economic reasons as well. We obtain too much money from the production of these weapons. Outlawing these weapons would lose our country money, and as many of us know, this is not a good time to be losing money as a country.
As many unfortunate events are arising with relation to the use of weapons our country must take effective action in realistic ways. The numbers can be lowered and lives can be saved. Our country is in need of safety in itself, the steps can be easier than we think.