My thoughts on Newtown: Gun law changes

samimae
Sami Swanson

With the tragedy of the Newtown shooting, I personally don’t think that guns are the problem. The guns don’t decide to shoot themselves. There is a person pulling the trigger, who is choosing to take someone’s life. One of the things that could definitely help the gun control situation would be requiring a psychological evaluation. Not just being able to apply for a gun, and doing no extensive background check is what allows these mentally unstable individuals to obtain firearms. It is definitely going to be hard to try and regulate illegal gun sales, but it is an issue that needs to be addressed. There is no way that guns will be outlawed completely because it is our constitutional right to bear arms. Although, I think that it is very possible to implement a strict policy on gun control to make it harder for anyone to obtain a firearm. For example, a stricter application process along with a mental history and/or psychological evaluation should be made mandatory before being allowed to purchase a firearm. The United States has the highest rate of gun crimes in the world. Other countries have put into effect laws that not only require you apply for a gun permit, but also undergo a psychoanalysis before a gun can be obtained. It may be expensive to put these laws in place and make sure there are doctors to perform the evaluations, but it is definitely worth whatever costs to make sure that our country is safe. There should be no price worth not being able to be met when our children, mothers, fathers, etc. lives could be in jeopardy if a gun falls into the wrongs hands because of someone’s mental state. Another requirement that can be put into place is a national database registry that all gun shops should be required to have. Each person wanting to purchase a gun will have to register their gun and how much ammo they buy. This way if they try to go buy other guns or more ammo the other shops will know how many guns and how much ammo each person already has. Along with the registry there should be a limit on how many guns each person is allowed to have, also a limit on how much ammo a person is allowed to buy at one time. By taking these precautions it will be harder for people to obtain weapons and stockpile ammo, which will decrease mass murders. I strongly believe that putting these actions in place will greatly reduce the chances of shootings like the one that occurred in Newtown.