My thoughts on Newtown: Something needs to change

miarms
On December 14, 2012 a single gunman took twenty-seven lives at Sandy Hook Elementary school. The shooting occurred in Newtown, Connecticut, which was known as being a safe town since it hadn’t had any major shooting within the last 10 years. The shooting not only shocked the residents of Newtown but the entire United States. It also led to the questioning of gun laws and stricter school security across the nation.
The second amendment states that it is our constitutional right to be able to bear arms. Proposing that all firearms be banned is not a plausible solution since it would be found as unconstitutional. A possible solution would to set stricter law/policies to obtain a handgun or rifle. Also, to ban semi automatic guns that can hold over 20 rounds of ammunition. Guns that can hold this much ammunition cause detrimental damage and they need to be left in the hands of trained military and away from the public. Many lives could have been saved had it not been so easy to obtain guns and ammunition. In most of cases of school shootings, the shooters had some type of mental illness. Everyone who wants to own a firearm should a physiological screening, background check, and proper training on how to properly care for and safely secure it.
After news broke about the shooting in Newtown, panic rose to a high in the United States. Parents across the country were signing out and picking up their children to ensure that they were safe. The day after the shooting, across the country, police officers were sent to protect elementary, middle, and high schools. Also stricter rules for letting people on school grounds have been put in place. Also all gun and/or bomb threats are taken seriously and will have required actions.
Stricter gun policies need to be set in place. We need to learn from this tragedy and try to move forward in a positive direction. We must not forget the twenty children were taken from this earth to soon. As well as the six staff members gave their lives to protect the children that they taught and love.