My Thoughts On Newtown: Regulate Gun Laws

cperrino

The United States is a country that is granted a lot of freedom. With that freedom citizens are given the choice to get their gun permit and then own their own gun. With this freedom came the death of many children at Sandy Hook Elementary. So where do we go from here? Being the country with a higher shooting rate than any other country, there needs to be a time that we come together and decide that enough is enough. The United States needs to take away guns.
Right now in the U.S any citizen is able to take a test and get their gun permit, with that done they are able to legally own a gun. Whether the gun is used for privacy purposes or personal reasons, guns are beginning to get in the hands of those with obvious mental illnesses. With massive shootings such as the Colorado shooting, Virginia Tech Massacre and finally the Newtown shooting, something needs to change. The man who shot up an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut took his mothers guns to do the shooting. That just shows that guns can be put in the hands of anyone even if they don’t have a gun permit. The man was able to get his hands on a rifle. What is the need for a rifle in a household, shouldn’t a small handgun be able to do the trick if one is concerned for their safety? Parents should be able to drop off their kids at school without having to worry about whether they are safe or not and I believe that the only way to end the massive shootings that have been occurring is to completely regulate who is buying guns and become more strict. Even though I believe that if someone really wants a gun they will do anything to find one, this will still make it more difficult.
After the shooting many people around the U.S got their gun license and purchased a gun, a few of my family members included. I don’t think that fighting violence with more violence is the answer. If one person in a family buys a gun for the protection of themselves, it is also allowing someone who should not get their hands on a gun, on one. This could lead to more deaths, more shootings, and an overall domino effect. It may be impossible to take away guns all together especially since a big majority of people already owns them, but putting stricter regulations on who can own a gun may be what our country needs. What’s the harm in trying? If someone really wants to own a gun they should have to pass regulations such as his or her background should be heavily checked along with the family members who live in their house. If we want the shootings to end then gun laws need to become stricter. Our country may not see change right away, but over time I believe that the problem will be solved.