My Thoughts on Newtown: How can we move forward?

shaniquelreece
Shaniquel Reece
1-29-13
How can we move forward?
Over the last year there have been several tragedies where innocent people have lost their lives. After the most recent shooting tragedy in Newtown Elementary School the question has been asked “Where do we go from here?” I say we start with improving the lack of security, serving more severe consequences for crimes committed, and respecting others and families feelings.
In the most recent cases if there were more security some of the people would still is here. Guns are the start of our problem. Instead of just having background checks once a month there should be background checks once a month to insure that the family is stable enough to have a weapon in their procession. Increase the amount of security guards and or police officers in public places. If that mean having to get your bags check before you enter the movie theatres to ensure that one won’t have to worry about someone shooting up the theatre than that’s what we as a nation would have to do. In most schools there are metal detectors and bag checks that one has to go through upon entering a school. If every school had metal detectors and bag checks that everyone had to go through upon entering schools and not just the schools in the “bad” school districts. That way we know who is responsible for bringing those dangerous items into our public family safe environments.
Why shouldn’t the criminals be held accountable for their actions? If a famous person was accused of hitting their spouse to hard the courts and media would be quick to make sure that they would have to pay for their crime. The pubic would also be quick to judge them. But, on the other hand if an average person was to shoot up a public place and kill innocent people everyone would be upset for a while but instead of making sure they face charges for their crime. The public, court, and media would blame it on some type of mental health problem. What happen to that enthusiasm and that person shall pay for what they have done attitude everyone had? Then, say it’s the parents and that they learned it from the different entertainment that’s out there so, they’re responsible for it. If there was more severe consequences for the dangerous crimes that are committed and the individuals are responsible for their crimes, then there would be less people that would tempted to do those crimes. And if the people would pay more attention to the major crimes that matter then we would be a step closer to having safer communities.
Finally, showing respect for others is a major problem that we have. The individuals that chosen to take innocent lives didn’t have respect for themselves let alone respect for the victims nor their families. Learning to treat others better than one treat themselves this world be a better place to live.
Comment by Justina

I think you may have had a typo in your essay, "Instead of just having background checks once a month there should be background checks once a month"

Did you mean that there should be more background checks than once a month? Because I would agree.
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:39:49 AM