My Thoughts on Newtown: The Underlying Issues

kespinosa216
Every time that a tragic event takes place in our country we’re constantly faced with the questions and theories that seek non-existent answers. In the case of the shooting that took place in Newtown, CT at the elementary school, many people began to point fingers towards the topic of gun control. Yet is it really the answer to the problem? Are guns themselves to blame? How is it that we as a country can place blame on an inanimate object rather than pause and question if we ourselves are in fact the problem. Every day people take their own lives, and every day there are people who may be defined as mentally unstable. These people can be pushed to their limit at any point in time. Though there isn’t a single excuse for what that man did in the Newtown, CT shooting, we can’t sit back and not seek an explanation.
Some people seem to think that the explanation is simply that a man of his condition had access to a gun. Yet that gun didn’t pull its own trigger taking innocent lives; he did. The thousands of gun owners across america did not pull that trigger that day, and because of one mans actions it would be unjust to punish and restrict the rest of the country.
I think that what we should each take from this event is not that guns are bad, or that guns should be restricted more than they already are, but rather that we should look into educating others on mental illness, and create outlets for individuals suffering from such conditions to go to. There should be more institutions that offer help and guidance for individuals who may suffer from mental instability. There’s explanations for why someone may come to that point, and though its never an excuse, it gives solutions that don’t interfere with the lives of people who don’t need more restrictive laws and rules.
As a society we have allowed those theories to shift the blame to guns and weapons, but why is it that we have yet to step back and question if it is we ourselves that need to accept the blame. In our culture each day is filled with fast paced impersonal interactions with others. For someone who is suffering from mental illness, not having the means or education on how to seek help can be the determining factor. By educating our youth at an early age about mental illness and how to seek help if you feel you’re suffering could be the solution to reducing tragic events like the Newtown shooting from taking place.
Comment by Justina

Your essay reinforces that idea that "guns don't kill people, people kill people" which I agree with.
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:41:08 AM