My Thoughts on Newtown: Where do we go after Newtown?

kyle.schweitzer
I believe the steps being taken on the new town shooting today are in the wrong direction. There shouldn’t be laws on controlling guns or the type of guns we as citizens can buy. These laws cannot prevent the events that took place. One person’s actions shouldn’t affect an entire countries freedoms and rights.
What happens when there is a shooting at a school or mall? The killers name is blasted throughout the media. The killers name is heard on every T.V. in the country. The media is giving these deranged killers exactly what they want. They want their 15 minutes of fame and they want to make their make on this earth before they go, one way or another. Now I’m not saying these terrible events shouldn’t be broadcasted but, if there were more stories about the heroes who have stopped incidents such as this one it would be a major deterrent. When is the last time you heard about someone who stopped a bank robbery or a shooting? More likely than not, you haven’t heard one recently. It happens more frequent then you would think although. If event such as these were covered as much as the killings themselves then the killers will know that there are people out there who will stop them and they won’t get there their “15.”
The Newtown shooting was done with stolen guns. How will any single gun law stop a person who stole the guns to begin with? The only thing gun laws do is, give the “every-day citizen” a less chance of being able to protect themselves. When guns restrictions and laws are imposed it takes the guns away from law abiding citizens and leaves criminals with their stolen guns and an easy target. These public murderers don’t want a shoot out. They want an easy body count. If the thought crosses there mind that someone else in that room may have a gun they will think twice about pulling the trigger.
Some say a bigger police force will solve the problem but I disagree. Police do not prevent crimes. They are there to enforce laws. The police are called after the crime has already been committed. So increasing the police force would only increase government spending.
So what is a good deterrent? Open carry. For those who can purchase a firearm should be able to carry it. They shouldn’t need a special permit to carry it and carry it visibly. The more visible a firearm is visible the more of a deterrent it is. If I follow the required process of purchasing a pistol I shouldn’t need to get another license to carry it on my hip. How does a pistol help defend me if it’s at home in a gun safe?
Don’t add gun laws because they do not solve the problem and if anything they only make the problem worse. It makes people easy targets when they aren’t equipped to defend themselves. We need to expose the heroes who save the day, not more police.
Comment by Justina

I like your different perspective on this issue. A lot of people are saying that gun laws need to be stricter. I also like the fact that you mentioned that by publicizing the killer's name, the media is doing what the murderers wanted. I didn't consider that idea.
Posted: Saturday, February 9, 2013 6:43:21 AM