My Thoughts on Newtown

maris77ss
Marissa Schedler 1/22/13

Stage of Life Essay-My Thoughts on Newtown; (First Draft)

The topic of the Newtown school shooting is an extremely controversial issue. Many

believe that gun control is the main problem when it comes down to it, however I strongly believe

that it is actually the people behind the guns. Of course gun control plays a vital role in finding a

solution to this important issue, although the medical aspect should also be considered. Currently,

background checks and a license is required to purchase or own a gun in the united states, though

there are no extensive precautions taken when distributing arms to civilians. Simply because a

citizen passes an exam or does not have a violent background on file does not mean that they do

not suffer from a serious mental illness or disorder. In my opinion I believe that mentally

disturbed citizens are more likely to become violent only because it is the chemistry of their

brain, which is ultimately unchangeable. This is not to mention that some citizens who are

diagnosed with a mental disorder do not always choose to take the prescribed medication. It is our

second amendment right under the constitution that we as citizens have the right to bare arms,

however the right to refuse medical treatment, such as medication, is also one of our many rights.

I believe that this is another important issue that should be reevaluated. If citizens can choose

whether or not to accept the assistance of health care providers, then how can Americans feel safe

without their sworn right to bare arms, and our right to self-defense? I do not think that it is

necessary for the government to take away our second amendment right to bare arms, though I do

think that it is important for them to reassess the actions taken before allowing any United States

citizen to purchase such dangerous weapons and releasing them into the public. Gun control, and

gun related casualties and accidents is becoming an epidemic. This issue begs the question of if

citizens should need such weapons in order to prevent themselves from becoming one of the

many victims. If the government will not protect their citizens then I think that it should be up to
the citizens how they choose to protect themselves. Although this is my view on the issue, I do

think that the increasing violence in our country needs to come to an end. The victims of the

Newtown, Connecticut school shooting were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, though

this incident has definitely opened up the eyes of many to this imperative issue.