STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown

maris77ss
Marissa Schedler 1/22/13

Stage of Life Essay-My Thoughts on Newtown; (First Draft)

The topic of the Newtown school shooting is an extremely controversial issue. Many

believe that gun control is the main problem when it comes down to it, however I strongly believe

that it is actually the people behind the guns. Of course gun control plays a vital role in finding a

solution to this important issue, although the medical aspect should also be considered. Currently,

background checks and a license is required to purchase or own a gun in the united states, though

there are no extensive precautions taken when distributing arms to civilians. Simply because a

citizen passes an exam or does not have a violent background on file does not mean that they do

not suffer from a serious mental illness or disorder. In my opinion I believe that mentally

disturbed citizens are more likely to become violent only because it is the chemistry of their

brain, which is ultimately unchangeable. This is not to mention that some citizens who are

diagnosed with a mental disorder do not always choose to take the prescribed medication. It is our

second amendment right under the constitution that we as citizens have the right to bare arms,

however the right to refuse medical treatment, such as medication, is also one of our many rights.

I believe that this is another important issue that should be reevaluated. If citizens can choose

whether or not to accept the assistance of health care providers, then how can Americans feel safe

without their sworn right to bare arms, and our right to self-defense? I do not think that it is

necessary for the government to take away our second amendment right to bare arms, though I do

think that it is important for them to reassess the actions taken before allowing any United States

citizen to purchase such dangerous weapons and releasing them into the public. Gun control, and

gun related casualties and accidents is becoming an epidemic. This issue begs the question of if

citizens should need such weapons in order to prevent themselves from becoming one of the

many victims. If the government will not protect their citizens then I think that it should be up to
the citizens how they choose to protect themselves. Although this is my view on the issue, I do

think that the increasing violence in our country needs to come to an end. The victims of the

Newtown, Connecticut school shooting were simply in the wrong place at the wrong time, though

this incident has definitely opened up the eyes of many to this imperative issue.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy