My Thoughts on Newtown: A Newtown Solution

GrantPaulus
As time has passed, from generation to generation, society has changed tenfold. Some for the good and some for the bad, but lately violence is on the rise and empathy is slowly diminishing. An example, in this decade, is the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting in Newtown Connecticut. Adam Lanza killed 26 innocent victims for no declared reason and no one can put themselves in his shoes to figure out or justify why. It’s documented that the gun used to kill his victims belonged to Adams mother, one of the victims. This brings up the issue of gun control, which has been a controversial topic in America for years.
With this man being autistic and shooting up an elementary school, I would say it is safe to say he is psychologically unstable. Though he is incredibly smart, because of his autistic condition, he is very dangerous with a loaded firearm. This incident brings up so many skeptical points to the gun control policy in America. A way to prevent this incident, or a similar incident, from happening again would be to stiffen the credentials to buy a firearm. If the government puts more of an emphasis on limiting the amount of residential guns distributed, less shootings could result due to the fact there would be less weapons to contribute to a crime.
On top of limiting the amount of guns distributed, a more detailed background check should be done too. Adam Lanza is a psychotic autistic man, they should not sell a firearm to a person if an immediate family member in the household is unstable; after all, they would have just as much access as the family member buying it. Looking back on many shootings than have been detrimental to society, many of which have been the result of a mentally unstable person who had access to a firearm in their own household. Americans do have the right to a gun in their house for their own protection but at the same time that so called protection could accomplice a worse violence. I support a household gun if and only if the buyer should meet a set of requirements applying to not just them but their family and all conditions involving the family in the house.
The Newtown shooting was a horrible occurrence that, hopefully, will never happen again, but that could only be true if we as Americans take the right precautions. I believe this could be the start of a new gun control system if the government decides to move in that direction. It is impossible to say what is to come in the future so the only thing we can do is look out for number one, which is the safety of America and the citizens that inhabit it. There is no “one” solution or “one” right thing to do from here, but every little thing helps. In my opinion a better gun control regiment is a must and once that is done we can know what else to do. The tragedy that happened at the Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown was horrible, but it opened our eyes to what people are really capable of and the lives lost may save some in the future.