Thoughts on Newtown

nicole.shannon
The Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting in Newton, Connecticut was a devastating tragedy just days before Christmas. Right before Christmas parents and kids are usually getting ready for the exciting holiday festivities, not having to watch friends or teachers die. There have been plenty of terrible shootings in the past that should not have occurred but never would I have thought someone would take it to the extent to kill elementary school kids. Guns are an extremely dangerous weapon and after everything that has happened in our country with them, I can understand how some people want rid of gun control. People take advantage of what a gun can do and use it to harm and put too many innocent people in danger and or at risk. I personally do not think gun control should be omitted but I do think there should be requirements to buy or have a gun. Most of the murderers of these shootings are people who are mentally unstable that got hold of a gun and took away lives of people for no reason. People like that obviously should not be allowed to have a gun. Medical records are usually supposed to be private but when it comes to purchasing a weapon that could kill, I think it should be required to look up medical history. If someone is mentally unstable they should not be able to purchase the gun. There have been too many tragedies and our country does not need anymore. Sadly, a world without tragedies will never be the case in our country but hopefully background checks and having guns being harder to purchase is a start.