My Thoughts on Newtown: Banning Guns Is Not The Solution

alexhance
The Newtown, Connecticut shooting was a terrible tragedy. Twenty six innocent people
lost their life, twenty of them elementary school children. Adam Lanza took his mother’s gun
collection and used it to kill her before driving to Sandy Hook Elementary School and opening
fire on the staff and students. The massacre finally ended when he took his own life.

Obviously there were many things wrong with this event. There were a myriad of factors
that contributed to its occurrence. Many people will ignore most or all of the issues and focus on
the gun aspect. Although this was certainly a contributing cause, it was not the only one. A
possible reaction would be to simply lobby congress to ban guns altogether. At first this seems
like a simple and effective solution. Without the availability of guns, the shooting spree in
Newtown could have never happened. Instituting an all out ban on guns would conceivably nix
any chances of another calamity such as this occurring.

However, this hypothetical solution does not take into account all of the other factors that
contributed to the shooting occurring in the first place. First, Adam Lanza was mentally unwell
and arguably unstable. He had been prescribed psychiatric drugs in the past and it was unclear if
he was still taking them at the time of the massacre. This alone is an incredibly important piece
of information. An average person with a gun does not wilfully go on a shooting rampage in an
elementary school. It takes a severely mentally disturbed person to even consider, let alone
follow through with something so sinister. A possible solution to this problem would be either
preventing patients being treated with mental health diseases to be simply banned from
purchasing any type of gun or making background checks for gun purchases more rigorous and
accurate. The latter would allow some qualified mental health patients to purchase guns, but
would ideally prevent any patients that are capable of repeating an event similar to the Newtown
shootings from purchasing a gun. The bigger problem is the way mental health patients are
treated. Far too often they are prescribed some mind altering medication and sent back into the
real world. More evaluation should be done to ensure they are ready to be inserted into society.

When comparing all of the possible changes that could be implemented, one must
consider the positives and the negatives of each one. An outright ban on gun ownership would
have one positive, and this would be to theoretically prevent any further gun violence. Briefly
considering the negative side of this decision, many concerns come to mind. There’s the issue of
the second amendment, and if it is constitutional to allow this ban. In addition, as seen in other
countries that have an embargo on gun ownership in place, violent crimes of other types such as
burglaries and rapes often increase. A balance needs to be found, ideally focusing more on the
issues with the access mental health patients have to guns and less on instituting a prohibition on
gun ownership.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura