My Thoughts on Newtown: Preventing the loss of the second amendment

nmbialek
“Guns don’t kill people, people kill people”, is a famous quote that anti-gun control advocates use. It refers to the fact that the people who kill innocent people, like the Newtown shooter, do it because of their state of mind not because they have a gun. I agree with the quote and therefore propose a reform on gun laws accordingly, to lower the chances that shootings will occur.

Although there is already permits required to get a gun we need to have permits to carry a gun as well. We have a conceal and carry law that allows people to carry a low powered gun on themselves for personal protection, but we need to make the requirements and penalties to be more strict. We need to make background checks with psychological reviews on it. Those who are mentally unstable should not be allowed to carry a gun because they are the ones that are most likely to be the shooters. They often cannot deal with situations in an appropriate manner and could result in violent out bursts. We also need to make the penalty for having a gun when you do not have a permit or having a high power weapon on you stricter. If we have more penalties then it is less likely people will break the law.

We need to have psychological reviews on file in order for a person to buy a gun. These reviews need to be on the person’s state of mind, if they have anger problems or any other disability that could be dangerous if they had a gun. If a person is found to be unfit mentally for a gun they will be denied a gun and their household should not have access to a gun. This is to ensure that these people cannot get in possession of a weapon so they do not harm others. Although this can intrude in the freedom of the people the unfit person lives with it will eliminate situations like Newtown where the shooter stole the gun from his parents in their own house.
My final way to decrease school shootings is to have armed officers in every school. The size will dictate the amount of officers in a school. These officers will be trained to know the school as well as what to do in a situation of a shooting and will have a weapon on them to stop the situation if needed. These officers, like everyone else, will have to go through the psychological process of getting a gun as well as being a trained officer. With these officers school shooters will be stopped by force rather than running out of ammo or their own sick satisfaction. This will prevent and detain the shootings. If we follow these new rules we can help protect our children.