My Thoughts on Newtown: “Changes After A Tragedy”

colekalibat
The Newtown Elementary School shooting was one of the most tragic events in recent history. A mentally ill person murdered 27 people, the majority of which were children. This event has sparked a large debate on gun control laws within America. Some people call for much stricter laws, where as others argue that it’s our second amendment right to bare arms. I believe every American should have the right to bare arms at any point in time in order to defend themselves as well as the people around them if necessary.
The first reason I believe everyone should have the right to bare arms at all times is because it would decrease the amount of innocent people who get murdered because they are defenseless. If only one teacher, such as the principal had some sort of weapon on the day of the Newtown shooting, it could have saved the lives of many people. The gunman could have been stopped much earlier on. I am by no means saying killing someone is easy. I would imagine that even the sanest people would find it difficult. However if everyone had a gun on them, criminals, or people who are just angry at a given point might think twice before acting irrationally. Knowing that if you attempt to hurt someone, there is the possibility of you being hurt as a direct result, it may cause someone to think twice.
The second reason I believe everyone should have the right to bare arms is because stricter laws on gun control is not going to affect the people who are using guns for illegal activities. If stricter gun laws were enacted, it would prevent the law-abiding citizens of America from obtaining a weapon thus making them more defenseless. People who use guns for illegal activity, such as murder, almost always obtain a gun illegally. For example, the Newtown shooter obtained a gun illegally. Even if laws for stricter gun laws were in place of the time of the shooting, he still would have had a gun. These new laws would not necessarily affect the criminals.
There is no doubt that something has to be done about the gun problem in America. However I do not believe enacting stricter laws on obtaining and owning a gun is the solution. I believe by allowing people to have a weapon at all times would overall reduce crime rates, and reduce the amount of innocent people who get robbed, murdered, etc. every day.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura