My Thoughts On Newtown: People Kill People

jeremy.parker
The Newtown shooting has created lots of questions on gun control in the United States. I feel that the problem with all the shootings in America is not necessarily on gun control, but rather the psychological issues of the people who are the ones shooting schools and institutions up. This is what the government and everyone else should be more focused on instead of publicizing the shooter to make them notorious and create more shootings.
The United States is a country that is extremely wealthy and highly industrialized and we are very fortunate to say the least. However, whenever a person has a psychological disorder in America, the government does not implement any serious action to help the person to get through the illness. Instead, pills are prescribed by psychiatrists and doctors to make it not as bad as the illness should be. People are the ones who are in control of guns and are the ones who can decide to shoot places up, such as the shooting in Newtown, Connecticut. Many of the people who shoot institutions or other places up generally have a psychological problem, such as the man who went in and killed many people during the premiere of the new Batman movie. He really truly believed that he was “The Joker.” The heartless kid who killed many children was also diagnosed with a mental illness. Instead of just prescribing pills to “dull the pain,” the government should instead try to diagnose the problem of the illness and actually do something about it, whether it is being put in a mental institution or some serious treatments with doctors.
The media can also do a better job of not publicizing the shooters. Many deranged people look at the news and see that someone just shot up a movie theatre and killed however many people and would want to top that in some sort of way. In class we discussed how it is more likely that if the media keeps the attention on the shooter, rather than the victims who were killed tragically, then more killings will occur. People feel that if they can top what the last shooter did, it is a great way of getting on television and getting known and having attention on them for once.
The media and the government play a big role in shootings that occur in the U.S. If the media were to pay more attention to the ones killed instead of the mentally ill people who shoot up schools, then less shootings will occur. Also, if the government actually attacked the problem of people who are not right in the head then it will also decrease the number of shootings and killings here in America. This is not a problem of gun control, because the ones who are doing the killings are other human beings.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura