STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown: A Change Through Tragedy

lindseythibault
The shooting in Newtown, Connecticut was a cry for help, a scream for control, an instant resort for a distorted plea. Adam Lanza was one of many Americans who suffer from a variety of mental illnesses and personality disorders; although Lanza was living with an illness it will never explain this great tragedy. In America there are no spotlights on mental illness and disorders only medication given to hide abnormality and create a “normal” human. In a fast pace world filled with instant gratification, we learn to solve our problems and live our lives through the easiest and fastest way possible. Gun laws remain highly attainable, I believe more extensive background checks should be asserted as well as laws to keep guns in protected areas where only the owner may have access too.

According to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration, a news report claimed that approximately one out of five Americans live with a mental illness. There are nearly 311,215,000 people who live in American according to the U.S. Census Bureau, so that means about 62,243,000 people suffer from a mental illness just in the U.S. Many of these people are prescribed medication or supplements to idle the side effects of their illness. This does not take care of their issue, but only sheet the real problem. I believe people with mental issues should have special care and help in order to better not only themselves, but also the society they reside in.

We drive too fast, eat fast food, text message in seconds, medicate when feeling ill, and use high speed internet. Americans live in a fast pace world where instant gratification is just about all we know. Considering the last few generations have only seen a fast paced America that is precisely how we live our lives. Adam Lanza was merely 20 when he shot all those people. Resolving issues has come to using guns to solve problems rather then talking matters through. I believe the fast pace comes with a price, and the prices odds are rarely good.

Guns are far too attainable to those in the United States. Considering all of the issues that have occurred in the past few years in tragedies that have been brought on by guns, there should be a much more extensive background check for those who would like to be a registered gun owner. In the second amendment it mentions the right to bear arms, I do believe American’s should have the right to be able to have a gun for security. Although, I believe the extent of the process in order to acquire a gun should take more precautions and steps to be sure that the owner is suitable for having a gun in their possession.

America will always be fast pace, but I believe our society needs to recognize those with mental disorders rather then simply medicating to hide their issues. America needs to extend the gun laws and make more extensive background checks on those who wish to buy guns. Those who do possess guns should be instructed to keep in a safe and/or locked place in order to sustain them in only the hands of the registered owner. With more effort put into these issues I believe we all could live in a safer and healthier America.

Bibliography
Conely, Mikaela. "1 in 5 Americans Suffers From Mental Illness." ABC News. ABC News Network, 19 Jan. 2012. Web. 22 Jan. 2013.
"U.S. & World Population Clocks." U.S. & World Population Clocks. U.S. Census Bureau, 22 Jan. 2013.
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:17:19 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy