My Thoughts on Newtown: Where Do We Go After Newtown?

samuel leipold
Sam Leipold
FYW 102-F3
1/24/2013
My Thoughts on the Newtown Shooting: The Public Protects the Public
The horrible events that took place in the Newtown Shooting demonstrate how sick and deranged people in our society can be. The fact is those types of people are everywhere and in many cases are for the most part normal acting like us. This makes it challenging to go through with the plan of performing an extensive background check on the people who want to purchase a firearm. Even if somebody’s background check deems them incapable of controlling themselves with a firearm, they could still get one in many other ways. If anyone is as crazed as the shooter in the Newtown Shooting, they would go to any extent to obtain the necessary weapons. With this being the case, it would be impossible to prevent another massacre of this caliber from happening with mere restrictions on buying a weapon. As a result, I think that it is necessary for the public to be prepared to protect themselves in case this situation came about in front of them. In other words, if everyone is as ready as the enemy is not nearly as many casualties would result. In the Newtown Shooting, if the staff of the school had been armed in anyway, they could have possibly prevented the horrific outcome from continuing. Obviously I’m not intending on the entire American population owning a gun and carrying it everywhere. But if these extensive background checks actually are legit they would be able to tell if a staff member of a school or a boss of a company are capable of handling a weapon only used for protection. The American public cannot rely only on background checks to thwart a future event similar to the Newtown Shooting. Also, it is clearly not a good idea to just hand guns out to everyone in hopes of them to protect themselves and others. So a mixture of the two methods is needed. A time where background checks are still given to anyone interested in buying a gun. But in this scenario if someone is in charge of many people at work and they pass the background check, they should be allowed or even forced to carry a form of protection. This could work for both bosses and in the Newtown case a trusted teacher or principal. The key thing is that we do not rely on just one or the other, but a mixture is needed to produce the maximum form of protection for the American public.