My Thoughts on Newtown: More Gun Laws Should Be Established

ekarlsson
It is astonishing how badly a tragedy like the shooting has rocked our nation. If a tragedy similar to this happened in an impoverished region, it would not have received the same type of media recognition. It is very clear that something has to be done about gun control in the United States, however this has been going on for a long time. Why are people trying to change now? Most Americans are aware of the danger of guns, which is why they try and stay away from dangerous areas where gun violence is present. In spite of that, people feel threatened and see that they can easily be affected by it. There is nothing positive about guns. The second amendment of the Constitution states that Americans have the right to bear arms to protect themselves, however what are people protecting themselves against? Other people with guns? In a perfect world guns should have never been invented because they have caused more harm than good. No matter what laws are put into place, gun violence will undoubtedly occur. Nothing will be one hundred percent affective, you cannot legislate evil. People have to realize that if they want change they must try and be the change. Maybe it will take us realizing that we do not have an immediate solution for this on going problem.

Laws are not going to fix the problem, although I believe that they can help. For one, laws can start with banning assault weapons, semi-automatic handguns, and high-capacity ammunition clips. Also, high capacity ammunition magazines should be banned. These put fantasies into people’s heads about the different types of guns they can have. In addition, expanding background checks on those who buy guns and ammunition is another manner in which gun use can be regulated. By doing this one could look at the persons mental history and see whether or not they are mentally stable or not to be able to handle such a deadly machine responsibly.

Just as pro-lifers believe new laws can reduce abortion, I believe new laws can reduce gun violence. If we want to decrease gun violence completely everyone needs to do their part in setting the tone against guns for youths who are easily corrupted by the media. The media needs to stop glorifying crimes like those portrayed in movies, as well as limiting exposure to deadly shootings going on around America. The media makes the stories come across as hot new gossip. Yes everyone should be able to know what is happening, but there is no reason to repeatedly announce it. America will never be able to move beyond the tragedy of Newtown if we fail to come to terms with the tragic flaw that is deep within each of us. What has happened to those people and many before them can happen to anyone of us. Coming to terms first and foremost with the truth is the first step to moving forward after Newtown.