STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

For The Rest Of Your Life

Kwweesten
"What is your major," she said.
"Professional writing," I responded.
"Oh that's great! My husband was a writing major. He was published a few times before he realized he needed a real job to make money, so he became a teacher."

I had to pick my jaw up off the floor after the conversation I had with this woman. Was she kidding me? I busted my butt for four years straight to maintain good grades, make money in order to get by, keep my sanity in check and this woman wants to tell me subtly that my major is useless now? Thank you but no thank you. I'll be dammed if I am going to let this woman get the best of me.

Unfortunately for her and her teacher of a husband, I plan to do everything I can to be successful after I graduate in May. I've come extremely far, given up sports to take on more classes, given up a social life to build my resume, and so many more regrets that won't come into play when it all pays off.

In this day and age, money shouldn't be factored in to any student’s decision when they choose a major in college. The only question they should be asked is "what do you love to do?" then take it and run with it. I love writing and I am going to find my niche in time.

God knows this economy is suffering as is and I don't plan to work my life away in order to make all the money I can. I am doing just fine living comfortably in my own way. Yeah, my floors aren't heated and I don't drive around in a Bentley. But let me tell you, I guarantee you I have less stress in my life, more happiness, and more down time then any top paid employee in this country.

Just last semester my roommate took a trip to South Africa for a chance to study abroad. When she came back, I thought I was living with an entirely new person. It didn't take long for her to explain to me what it was like to experience something so different from what you considered a normal everyday life, before I broke down into tears of a reality check.

Her initial plan was to teach children how to read and write, but she didn't realize most of the classrooms were in old boxcars and most of the children were barely clothed. Poverty is one thing the kids may not be able to spell but they sure as hell know nothing else.

“But that’s the thing,” she explained to me. “They don't know what it is like to live in America, drive around in expensive cars, live in heated houses and buy designer clothing because they were raised to appreciate living. To them, being able to get enough food and education everyday is enough. This is all they could ask for because they know nothing else.”

Right after she said that, I thought to myself, how much better would this country turn out to be if we could put a cap on money and know nothing above it. I truly believe we'd be happier - employed in jobs we actually love and being able to spend time with our families and not resent it.

But unfortunately for many, until you see that kind of world you will never know anything else besides your own world. For me, it isn't going to be about my paycheck at the end of the week, it's going to be about happiness because this country suffers too much being suffocated in all its money.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy