STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newtown

lisa89

One
I know that first person is taboo for essays, but I am making an exception, because I can't think analytically about this one. The problem with a random massacre is that there is no lesson to be learned. It leaves those cut by it powerless; with nowhere to direct their anger. I want the NRA to be responsible, his mother to be responsible, mental health professionals to be responsible, and more than anything I wish the shooter could be held responsible. I want somebody to be punished!
Unfortunately, the arrows do not have a target. There is a scientific theory that states it is possible for the movement of a particle to allow it to be nowhere and everywhere at the same time. The way this concept twists around when I try and grasp it is the same as when I try and find a target for my blame. There is no place to shoot for when the unfathomable happens. The fault is everywhere and it is nowhere simultaneously, because all parties involved took a little bit of the blame. Terrible thing to write, I know, but allow me to explain myself before you turn away.
There is a point where the dangerous people are stopped by the ones who witness it. The location of this spot is no longer obvious, in fact, it is easily ignored. A psychiatrist diagnosis a young man as deeply troubled with homicidal thoughts and then gives him medication that will hopefully help. A mother sees her son's behavior getting more and more irrational, but doesn't want to process it. A pedestrian notices a man acting strangely and watches him walk into an elementary school. None of these people are to blame for that awful massacre, but they could have changed it.
This has become a nation of avoidance instead of initiative. The goal is no longer to do what you know is right; it has become do what you must and no more. Complacency, personal trials, and fear of being wrong are keeping the heads of Americans bowed. They have enough on their plates, someone else will deal with it, I don't want any more trouble in my life; the accepted excuses. They are no longer flying.
This country wasn't built on humility and passivity. It was won by the arrogant, the proud, the angry, people who chose to try. We may have every amenity, luxury, and need met, but that does not mean we should be content. A surface of ease can make it easy to forget that it is everyone and no one's fault. It is each individual's responsibility to protect, defend, and fight for what they love. There will be no proclamation of war; just moments where we as people can decide whether to keep our heads down, or do what we know we should.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

I agree with you. The shooter was insane.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:51:19 AM
Rate this:
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, April 9, 2013 4:17:58 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy