My Thoughts on Newtown

lisa89

One
I know that first person is taboo for essays, but I am making an exception, because I can't think analytically about this one. The problem with a random massacre is that there is no lesson to be learned. It leaves those cut by it powerless; with nowhere to direct their anger. I want the NRA to be responsible, his mother to be responsible, mental health professionals to be responsible, and more than anything I wish the shooter could be held responsible. I want somebody to be punished!
Unfortunately, the arrows do not have a target. There is a scientific theory that states it is possible for the movement of a particle to allow it to be nowhere and everywhere at the same time. The way this concept twists around when I try and grasp it is the same as when I try and find a target for my blame. There is no place to shoot for when the unfathomable happens. The fault is everywhere and it is nowhere simultaneously, because all parties involved took a little bit of the blame. Terrible thing to write, I know, but allow me to explain myself before you turn away.
There is a point where the dangerous people are stopped by the ones who witness it. The location of this spot is no longer obvious, in fact, it is easily ignored. A psychiatrist diagnosis a young man as deeply troubled with homicidal thoughts and then gives him medication that will hopefully help. A mother sees her son's behavior getting more and more irrational, but doesn't want to process it. A pedestrian notices a man acting strangely and watches him walk into an elementary school. None of these people are to blame for that awful massacre, but they could have changed it.
This has become a nation of avoidance instead of initiative. The goal is no longer to do what you know is right; it has become do what you must and no more. Complacency, personal trials, and fear of being wrong are keeping the heads of Americans bowed. They have enough on their plates, someone else will deal with it, I don't want any more trouble in my life; the accepted excuses. They are no longer flying.
This country wasn't built on humility and passivity. It was won by the arrogant, the proud, the angry, people who chose to try. We may have every amenity, luxury, and need met, but that does not mean we should be content. A surface of ease can make it easy to forget that it is everyone and no one's fault. It is each individual's responsibility to protect, defend, and fight for what they love. There will be no proclamation of war; just moments where we as people can decide whether to keep our heads down, or do what we know we should.
Comment by SOFLarchive

I agree with you. The shooter was insane.
Posted: Friday, January 11, 2013 3:51:19 AM
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura