Be The Change: Education vs. Prison

mushtary
A largely debated topic, not only in my community, but the state maybe even the country as a whole, is the money spent on education. Now that the population has increased, more students are graduating and going to college. With that there are more third class families who cannot afford to send their child to college without financial aid or scholarships. The state does contribute by spending in average $9,575 per year for each student (only). As a matter of fact in the state of Michigan (where I live), with nine other states, the government spends more money on prisons than on the educational needs of students. Michigan’s costs for inmates are kept lower than other states, but nevertheless the government spends three times as much money on prisoners than on the financial needs towards a better education. They spend on average, $28,570 on each prisoner per year. I feel that this is a slight oxymoron. We spend more money on prison than on education, whereas if we were to start off by spending money on education there would be no need for the prisons (or less of). The need for prisons start off with misled young adults maybe even young teens and children. They grow up with bad morals and sometimes express those moral throughout their adult life. What they need is more guidance toward a better future, no matter what ordeal they went through. With more money invested in a paved pathway through education it decreases the likelihood of them becoming a criminal. Not only does it decrease the amount of prisoners, but it also increases the amount of bright, successful leaders. Now I’m not saying all this can be done in a mere year, but slowly and gradually we can make this happen. The plan is to start off spending more money of financial aid later decreasing the amount of prisoners. Which will then balance itself out, having the same amount of money being used as before, but instead this time having more spent on education rather than prisons. With this strategy together we can create a new generation filled with brilliant, triumphant pursuers.