Be the Change: Offering My Writing

riserthinking
“The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life," said Jessica Hische. I stopped for a moment to check what I was doing during the hour I was supposed to be studying for a test. I looked at the windows of my computer screen to see Word documents with articles to edit. I was focusing on my writing jobs...again. I had reports to write for school, but I also put a lot of time seeking writing opportunities to produce both fictional and non-fictional work.
I have received many positive comments about my writing, may it be for my personal statements, scripts, assessment write-ups, or essays. I enjoyed writing, but I never considered myself a good writer. I only considered myself a writer in general when I served for my first government internship. Without knowledge of public health and policy or many skills in technology, I felt that I had little to contribute to my office. I thus began my internship reviewing and editing the issues briefs produced by my colleagues. In the midst of reviewing and researching for these briefs, I soon found myself volunteering to write drafts for a couple of briefs on tobacco cessation and guidelines on telebehavioral health. These projects continued to the end of my internship and the products are now in review.
I did not abandon public health, policy, and writing altogether when I ended my internship. In returning to school, I accepted a public health fellowship with a section that coincidentally aimed to engage in more policy this year. A major way of doing this was to write policy briefs on maternal and child health. Again, I found myself writing and advocating for issues I knew little about but was excited to learn considering their high importance and relevance for the health of the greater population. In the mode of writing during the semester, I volunteered to be the senior editor for the newsletter of my psychology program. I framed my first newsletter as the "Self-Care Edition." To put my fictional work out, I also became a regular contributor for a local literary magazine.
I have always enjoyed writing during my spare time— poems, scripts, and general journal-writing. This year, however, I realized I could offer my hobby for the greater good of the people through advocacy work or entertainment both at the local and the national level. I may not be the best writer and I may not be the most knowledgeable about the topics assigned to me, but as long as I enjoy and believe in the process, I know I can make a contribution.
Comment by SOFLarchive

Very interesting. I enjoy creative writing too. Wish you luck. Hope you succeed.
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:12:56 PM