STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Be the Change: Offering My Writing

riserthinking
“The work you do while you procrastinate is probably the work you should be doing for the rest of your life," said Jessica Hische. I stopped for a moment to check what I was doing during the hour I was supposed to be studying for a test. I looked at the windows of my computer screen to see Word documents with articles to edit. I was focusing on my writing jobs...again. I had reports to write for school, but I also put a lot of time seeking writing opportunities to produce both fictional and non-fictional work.
I have received many positive comments about my writing, may it be for my personal statements, scripts, assessment write-ups, or essays. I enjoyed writing, but I never considered myself a good writer. I only considered myself a writer in general when I served for my first government internship. Without knowledge of public health and policy or many skills in technology, I felt that I had little to contribute to my office. I thus began my internship reviewing and editing the issues briefs produced by my colleagues. In the midst of reviewing and researching for these briefs, I soon found myself volunteering to write drafts for a couple of briefs on tobacco cessation and guidelines on telebehavioral health. These projects continued to the end of my internship and the products are now in review.
I did not abandon public health, policy, and writing altogether when I ended my internship. In returning to school, I accepted a public health fellowship with a section that coincidentally aimed to engage in more policy this year. A major way of doing this was to write policy briefs on maternal and child health. Again, I found myself writing and advocating for issues I knew little about but was excited to learn considering their high importance and relevance for the health of the greater population. In the mode of writing during the semester, I volunteered to be the senior editor for the newsletter of my psychology program. I framed my first newsletter as the "Self-Care Edition." To put my fictional work out, I also became a regular contributor for a local literary magazine.
I have always enjoyed writing during my spare time— poems, scripts, and general journal-writing. This year, however, I realized I could offer my hobby for the greater good of the people through advocacy work or entertainment both at the local and the national level. I may not be the best writer and I may not be the most knowledgeable about the topics assigned to me, but as long as I enjoy and believe in the process, I know I can make a contribution.
Rate this:
Comment by SOFLarchive

Very interesting. I enjoy creative writing too. Wish you luck. Hope you succeed.
Posted: Thursday, December 27, 2012 11:12:56 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy