My Favorite Book: John Steinbeck's Travels With Charley: In Search of America gave me direction with

jstutts13
My favorite author is John Steinbeck and my favorite book is his last; Travels with Charley: In Search of America. It's a personal tale of Steinbeck's last journey, his last chance of discovering something new. He had no expectations; only pen, paper and his darling dog, Charley. The parallels I find in John Steinbeck's waning career and my cresting own gives these words inspiration.

Steinbeck says, "I was born lost and take no pleasure in being found."

This is a reality I have learned to accept after many years of stubborn resistance. By no means do I turn away from the norms of popular culture or other influences. I have simply come to the realization that I am my own being. My beliefs in moral, political and religious views differ from my family. My friends and I have different interests and priorities. I have come to the acceptance of Jordan Stutts

Steinbeck says, "The urge to be someplace else was on me, I was assured by mature people that maturity would cure this itch."

My dream is to be a foreign news correspondent. I believe that if I strongly assert this statement, it WILL happen; along with the work that goes with it. But the dream I hang my hat on at night is a fear both my parents refuse to realize. Not that they don't want me to succeed or be happy. For them, I believe it is seeing the living proof of their success that makes them happy. Leaving this place is a topic that is quickly dropped at the dinner table for easier to swallow subjects about their baby's big boy life. All three of us know that one day this subject will be handled with one big gulp of goodbye.

Steinbeck says, "I saw in their eyes something I was to see over and over in every part of the nation."

It has long been my opinion that every single person on this earth has a story to tell. I want to hear every single one. This should relate my intense desire to meet new people, hear new stories, experience new things. My father, a veteran and witness to the bloodbath of Vietnam, constantly reminds me that the world is not like North Carolina. He is saying this to make me realize how nice of a place we have to live. I've already realized the world isn't like North Carolina. What he doesn't understand is when he's telling me stories of foreign and strange places he is only fueling my fire more.

As you can see, John Steinbeck's Travels with Charley has truly been an inspiration to my ambitions. The tricky thing will be how to get my own floppy-eared and furry companion to come with me. Copper, buddy, I'm still working on that part.

I'll end with one last quote about my future plans. Something I ponder every night when the lights turn off.

Steinbeck says, "My plan was clear, concise and reasonable, I think."
Comment by jstutts13

For more writings, specifically feature or news articles. Or any other piece I work on in college, visit http://whydafnot.blogspot.com/

Great stuff and good reads I promise!
Posted: Monday, November 12, 2012 4:26:14 AM