STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Song: "Us Against The World" by Coldplay gives me hope after my soulmate's passing.

charleytagg
It would always be us against the world. June 16, 2012, I thought, would be another monthly anniversary. I was in a meeting awaiting his text message as I had been since the previous evening. He was a wild one, so I had learned to not worry when he took hours to respond to my messages. Therefore, I went on trying to pay attention to the presentation in front of me.
We had met during our freshman year at Texas A&M University. He was not a shy boy, and I was not a shy girl. Just like gravity, we were drawn to each other, with an unstoppable force. His blonde hair, light brown eyes, perfect smile, but most of all his personality astounded me. He radiated kindness, joy, and a beauty so unfamiliar to me. I could never place the pureness and fire of our love into words, and never will.
I was imagining walking down the aisle to his beautiful smile only a couple short years from then, just like we had planned. My name was called, interrupting my day dream. I was led into a room away from my meeting, where I saw my love’s best friend standing. I immediately knew something was wrong. All the man had to say was, “There was an accident..”, and I collapsed.
He had died at 2:47 that morning in a car wreck.(”In my heart she left a hole.”) But, it was still us against the world. (“Through chaos as it swirls, its us against the world. Like a river to a rain drop, I lost a friend.”) I was in agony. I could feel the pain pulsating through my veins every day from the moment my nightmares ended, and the terrifying daylight hours began. It was a continuous cycle of my heart being drug into a pit of depression. (“The tightrope that I'm walking just sways and ties, the devil as he's talking with those angel's eyes, and I just want to be there when the lightning strikes,and the saints go marching in.”) But I knew he was in heaven above me. I did not want to be of this world anymore. I longed and begged my Lord to call me home. I could not and would not survive without him. (“And tonight I know it all has to begin again
So whatever you do, don't let go.”) But my darling and God had a different plan for me. I was crying and trying to hold myself together when this song came onto my Ipod. It brought me closer to the love I had lost, and I knew the agonizing part of the pain wouldn’t be forever. It isn’t my time to join him yet, but I am never without his love. (“Lift off this blindfold, let me see again.”) We would be together for eternity to love freely as glorious angels. (“And if we could float away, fly up to the surface and just start again.”)
Rate this:
Comment by Justina

I'm sorry for the loss of your loved one. Please stay strong and have hope.
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:39:56 AM
Rate this:
Comment by bugcandy

You shared a very powerful story above. Thank-you. Since this was a writing contest, I did want to let you know that your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. I know it had to be hard.

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:04:02 PM
Rate this:
Comment by mrsbays

I know that this wasn't easy to write, but I am very proud of you for doing so. You have always been--and always will be-- a light that shines in the darkness. You will help to lead others out of the darkness. Keep writing Charley. Love you!
Posted: Saturday, September 22, 2012 3:55:24 AM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy