My Song: "I'll Be Missing You"

riserthinking
“I like this song.” “You know it’s about Biggie’s death, right?” “Oh.” I always tended to jam straight to the melody while dismissing the actual lyrics of the song. Diddy’s “I’ll Be Missing you” was no exception. Regardless, I was still in a good mood at that moment. There we were, Raye and Darian, sitting in a dark bowling listening to 1990s music. This was part of the good-bye celebration for me. A group of friends were initially at Chuck E Cheese to relive our childhood celebrations, but we got kicked out when Darian refused to rearrange furniture he didn’t actually move. I didn’t mind that we didn’t get to stay long enough to eat pizza. After all, who could say they got kicked out of a children’s indoor playground? After one game, I sat next to Darian to observe others hone their bowling skills. We didn’t speak much, but we were comfortable sitting in silence without feeling pressured to entertain each other. Listening to music was also part of our friendship. I liked the mainstream stuff; he introduced me to underground treasures.
I took that night for granted. I left for my four-month stay in Canada after that celebration. I wouldn’t see Darian again until a year later. I also wouldn’t see him the same way. He looked completely different with a significant weight loss when he visited me at school. “How did you spend our birthday?” he asked. “I went out with my girl friends. You?” “I spent it at the hospital—again.” He explained how doctors kept misdiagnosing him, leading him to have more physical complications and more visits to the hospital. It saddened me that I wasn’t there for him during his trials. “Just sit next to me,” he said when we went to sit on a bench outside. There we were again, sitting, listening to music on his red iPod, cracking a few jokes, and enjoying the company. I didn’t know how long we were there, but those were the last hours of just us together like that
I saw him randomly over the next year—at the grocery store, fast food joints, anywhere people normally bumped into each other. Although he looked healthier, the truth was the opposite. Two years passed and many things changed. I was studying for my preliminary examinations for my first year of graduate school when I found out about the news through Facebook. He was gone. In the midst of disbelief I suddenly remembered all the moments we had together: the band concerts, the endless late-night chats, the sports events, the moments with the red iPod. . . My elementary school enemy/high school best friend was now gone. Four years ago I never would have thought I would listen to the lyrics of Diddy’s song carefully. Next to my Facebook page was Youtube. I looked up the song and listened with every word counting: “Thinking of the day, when you went away. What a life to take, what a bond to break, I’ll be missing you . . . “
Comment by Justina

This song is certainly catchy. I really liked the wistful toned you used. :) I look forward to reading more of your writing!
Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2012 9:41:56 AM
Comment by bugcandy

Congratulations - your essay above has been named a semi-finalist in the July and August StageofLife.com writing contest (where we asked people to share a story about how music played an important role during a unique time in their life).

We had over 9,500 people from around the world visit the StageofLife.com writing contest page during the summer and nearly 200 submitted qualifying essays.

43 essays were named finalists (one of which is yours).

To read a recap of the writing contest, see links to the qualifying essays, and find out who the runners-up and winner are (announced after September 15th, 2012) visit this page: http://www.stageoflife.com/music.aspx

Our 26 Editors are now reviewing the finalists. We'll make an announcement on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/StageofLife) and via email when the winner is selected.

Thanks again for sharing your story on Stage of Life. Please share the news of being named a finalist with your friends, family and via Facebook / Twitter.

Great essay above, and best of luck!

Stay tuned!

Eric
CEO, StageofLife.com

P.S. If you haven't checked out the current writing contest, you can get to it from here: http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests.aspx
Posted: Thursday, September 6, 2012 7:34:17 PM