STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Nature: Kayaks are Birds

jmclau17
Sea kayaking is the closest I’ve ever come to flying. I used to think of flying in the commonplace way, requiring wings and open air and altitude and clouds. Airplanes and hang-gliding and parasailing desperately try to mimic the elegance of birds, with their hollow bones and their weightless feathers. I suppose if we’re being literal, pilots and paratroopers are a whole lot closer to flying than I’ve ever been in my boat.
But when I really start to think about what flying means, when people say they wish their superpower was flight or that they could fly away with the likes of tiny birds to tropical locations when the winter rolls in, I think about sea kayaking.
Flying is almost synonymous in our culture with freedom; freedom to travel, freedom to defy physics- to tell Newton that we won’t fall lying down like the apples did. Flying makes us feel small in a vast universe, but strong enough to see it all for ourselves. Flying is about openness, about reaching a place we couldn’t with just our feet. Flying is about escape, about adventure. Flying is true ownership and power over your fate. Sea kayaking encompasses all these possibilities in a way that a commercial flight with JetBlue Airlines never could for me.
In January when I joined fellow students from Johns Hopkins University on a paddling trip around the Everglades and Ten Thousand Islands, I really flew. Sitting in my boat in the middle of the Gulf of Mexico with no land in sight, watching light reflect off the waves like a molten mirror, I paddled on. On only my own steam, the strength of my core and my forearms, I pushed ahead a long, narrow kayak full of gallons of water, all my clothes, pots and pans, food, a tent and my own body.
Sitting atop the water is almost more amazing than it would be to sit on a cloud, with the possibility of seeing a sea-turtle’s quilted back or the rough grey fin of a dolphin beneath you. You can clearly see what’s in the sky, but the surface of the water is more like a stained glass window than a clear one. On a clear day you might see the sand and plants at the bottom, but more often than not the water is full of mystery. On the clearest day paddling Walker’s Pond in Cape Cod, my mom and I saw a submerged row boat. It’s probably been there for as long as I’ve been paddling (my whole life), but I’ve never seen it before or since.
I paddled for hours with my companions before we reached a sandbar. I connected with the earth in a way I hadn’t before—trusting it to propel me to safety, admiring it for its beauty, and knowing of its power to overpower me. I’ve always had a healthy fear of water that almost rivals my love of it. It’s my method of flight.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy