Nature: My dad made me sea the beauty of nature

sburrows
Nature inspires me by reminding me of how delicate and lovely life can be. It reminds me that I am so small in this large world. When I am in nature I am inspired not only by the beauty and complexity of everything around me, but by the memories that I have from going to the beach with my dad. The beach is where I can remember some of the best moments in my life. It is where I learned to appreciate nature at an early age. As the wind blows through my thin, brown hair, I can’t help but mistaken the wind for my father’s fingers as he would run them through my hair to gently pull apart my knots. When I am in the water, the water around me feels like his embrace when he gives me his “it’s going to be okay” kind of hug. With every footprint that I leave in the sand, I know that I am grounded to be the strong and understanding woman whom he grew me up to be.

I was with my dad, the only man a young girl needed in life. Ocean City, Maryland was our summer vacation destination. While walking along the beach one evening, my little hand was the key to my dad’s rough, big hand embracing mine. With each step that we took from the street to the beach, I could see in the distance the beautiful blue sea. Goosebumps started to appear on my arms and legs from the chill of the air. I heard the waves crashing onto the sand, along with seagulls screaming for food like they were hungry infants. I could smell the salty air and the beach fries coming from the boardwalk. We stepped onto the sand. I froze in place, gawking at the beautiful scene in front of me.

I took my shoes off and allowed the cold sand to sift between my toes. I looked at my dad and smiled with my missing front teeth. He smiled back at me and pointed straight ahead. That was when I really took notice to the glittery ocean water. As we approached the water, my dad and I talked about everything. I remember talking about how his father, my grandfather, loved the beach. He told me that we can buy a kite to fly and that I’d really enjoy watching it dance in the wind. I remember my dad telling me what a special little girl I am and how I had a future as bright as the sea. Eventually, we sat down at the shore line, letting the waves run over our legs. The refreshing but cold water urged me to take shelter under my dad’s arm to get warm. We sat there. Looking out to the horizon, we continued to talk as nature awed me with everything that it had to offer. I appreciate nature because he exposed me to the true beauty in life; everything around me.

Comment by SOFLarchive

Nice essay. Nature is part of life.
Posted: Saturday, June 16, 2012 11:49:10 PM