Media: How media has evolved over the years and changed generations

hkidwell

As the generations have evolved over the years, technology has made it easier for people to access the media in many different ways, such as television, newspapers, and the Internet. We do not realize how much our lives revolve around the media and the information that each one of them provides. Generations are interested in different types of media depending on their age group. As the involvement of media and technology heightens, our next generation is suffering from too much alone time and not enough time interacting with people anymore.
Over the past few generations media has shifted from newspapers to the television. From the television news media became more mobile on the Internet with breaking news at our fingertips. I sit back in my chair and remember when I was a little girl with curly blond hair sitting in front of the television watching my morning Smurf cartoons and commercials. I had to get up out of my seat, walk over to the television, and actually turn the switch clockwise to change the channel. As we all know there are remote controls now, and we can just sit on the couch and push buttons to turn the channel. Television has gone from black and white to color with remote controls so you do not have to move.
With the expansion of technology, Media is much easier to access with the expansion of technology. You can access the media even when you are not home. With the inventions of laptops, cell phones, newspapers and iPods, you can ascertain anything you want to know at any time of the day. We as a society are spending too much time researching all the different types of media access. Our teens are acquiring too much information. They are becoming more obese because they would rather be on their phones, laptops, or iPods these days than outside getting some good, healthy exercise. Children tend to mimic what they see. We as a group need to express to our children how all media is not always robust, and not everything they read or hear is true.
As our teens grow into adults, reality television, magazines, and You- Tube are influencing our children as the world perceives them. Magazines are mostly false as soon as they hit the shelves. As we all have learned in our lives, magazines like to air brush their talent to make them more appealing and less real. As a whole unit we need to come together and show our teens that there is more to life than just gadgets.

By: Heather Kidwell
Angelberry03420@yahoo.com (Land O Lakes, FL)