Dear me: living in the present is more beautiful than you could ever imagine.

evanscd
Just think. God made freckles, sunflowers, twinkling night skies, cool fall breezes, crooked perfect smiles, and you and me. Life is full of so many little things that you daily look past because of blinding distractions. When you walk to class your head is constantly down focused on your updating twitter feed, but wait, you think, I glance up every once in a while to make sure I’m not a few steps away from plowing into the oncoming traffic who are also focused on what is keeping them so consumed on their phones. Props to you. How long do those glances last? A couple of seconds? Enough to slightly make eye contact with someone passing by only to be diverted to the calling buzz of your phone as a text message comes across? That’s right me, pipe back down you can’t win this argument.

What I’m trying to get into that stubborn head of yours is that you need to live 2014 in the moment. When your focus finds itself on the things and people and places around you your perspective on life is totally changed. Overwhelming, amazingly, is-this-really-how-life-is-lived changed. I promise you social media will be there for you in the wee hours of the nights when your thoughts are keeping you awake and you need a mindless distraction to escape. But in the daylight there’s so many opportunities you could be missing and life that you could simply be experiencing. From the way the sun warms your skin through your car windshield as you sit at that annoying traffic light that seems to stay on red longer and longer each day. Or the way a simple smile while passing someone on the way to class seems to fill you with a sense of humanity and the longing we all feel to be loved by someone. Or the happiness you get when you’re surrounded by friends and that catchy song comes on the radio that everyone claims to hate but somehow knows all the words to and suddenly everyone’s singing their hearts out really, really out of tune.

It’s these simple, sometimes silly, things in life that I don’t want you to miss. Because it’s these things that capture the essence of this life we are all living. God didn’t give you this life to be full of distractions and excuses, He gave you this life to live. My hopes for you this year is that you find yourself purely living. I hope you take in every moment. I hope you revel in the little things and embrace the big things with compassion and an attitude that screams “I will change this world”. Don’t be afraid to live life outside of that comfort zone you’ve created. You and I both know a giant leap of faith will be needed to live life like you never have before. So me, this year live for every moment. It will be so incredibly worth it.

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your January 2014: Hopes and Fears essay being selected as one of our 12 top contenders to receive the prize package and the distinction of first place.

Be proud of your accomplishment! We had a record breaking month for this essay contest, and yours made it into the top 12 of all the qualifying essays.

We will be contacting the winner of January’s writing contest after all the editors vote (by Feb. 20th). We will post all the results for the January contest by Feb. 28th on our contest results page, so check the following link:

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and keep writing.

Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 8:51:46 PM

The votes are in, and I would like to extend a huge congratulations to you for being selected as the 1st place winner of January 2014: Hopes and Fears Letter writing contest.

You should be incredibly proud of this accomplishment because we had to make tough decisions for this contest, since so many great writers participated.

I will be contacting you via your registration email regarding your prizes and featured placement status on the site.

If you would like to see all the results, we will post them on the contest results page by Feb. 28th:
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:12:13 PM
Comment by evanscd

Thank you so much!
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:21:47 PM
Comment by I Am Hebe.com

Congratulations! Your amazing work has been featured on www.iamhebe.com.

I Am Hebe is a blogsite targeted toward young adults interested in the Humanities. Our articles include extraordinary work in writing, film, art, and public speaking and we only post articles that will appeal to our young adult audience. The editorial staff at I Am Hebe found your work in this piece noteworthy. It has been included in an article on our site!

We love what you did with including so much of yourself into this piece, especially when you talk about updating your Twitter feed and getting sucked into your phone. Its something we are all guilty of. Consider us a fan of yours.

Congratulations again, and, with your approval, we will be on the lookout for more work you produce in the future.

Check out the article we wrote about you here.

N. Todd
Founder and CEO of I Am Hebe
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 7:17:02 PM