STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

Dear me: living in the present is more beautiful than you could ever imagine.

evanscd
Just think. God made freckles, sunflowers, twinkling night skies, cool fall breezes, crooked perfect smiles, and you and me. Life is full of so many little things that you daily look past because of blinding distractions. When you walk to class your head is constantly down focused on your updating twitter feed, but wait, you think, I glance up every once in a while to make sure I’m not a few steps away from plowing into the oncoming traffic who are also focused on what is keeping them so consumed on their phones. Props to you. How long do those glances last? A couple of seconds? Enough to slightly make eye contact with someone passing by only to be diverted to the calling buzz of your phone as a text message comes across? That’s right me, pipe back down you can’t win this argument.

What I’m trying to get into that stubborn head of yours is that you need to live 2014 in the moment. When your focus finds itself on the things and people and places around you your perspective on life is totally changed. Overwhelming, amazingly, is-this-really-how-life-is-lived changed. I promise you social media will be there for you in the wee hours of the nights when your thoughts are keeping you awake and you need a mindless distraction to escape. But in the daylight there’s so many opportunities you could be missing and life that you could simply be experiencing. From the way the sun warms your skin through your car windshield as you sit at that annoying traffic light that seems to stay on red longer and longer each day. Or the way a simple smile while passing someone on the way to class seems to fill you with a sense of humanity and the longing we all feel to be loved by someone. Or the happiness you get when you’re surrounded by friends and that catchy song comes on the radio that everyone claims to hate but somehow knows all the words to and suddenly everyone’s singing their hearts out really, really out of tune.

It’s these simple, sometimes silly, things in life that I don’t want you to miss. Because it’s these things that capture the essence of this life we are all living. God didn’t give you this life to be full of distractions and excuses, He gave you this life to live. My hopes for you this year is that you find yourself purely living. I hope you take in every moment. I hope you revel in the little things and embrace the big things with compassion and an attitude that screams “I will change this world”. Don’t be afraid to live life outside of that comfort zone you’ve created. You and I both know a giant leap of faith will be needed to live life like you never have before. So me, this year live for every moment. It will be so incredibly worth it.
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

On behalf of the entire StageofLife.com editorial board, I would like to congratulate you for your January 2014: Hopes and Fears essay being selected as one of our 12 top contenders to receive the prize package and the distinction of first place.

Be proud of your accomplishment! We had a record breaking month for this essay contest, and yours made it into the top 12 of all the qualifying essays.

We will be contacting the winner of January’s writing contest after all the editors vote (by Feb. 20th). We will post all the results for the January contest by Feb. 28th on our contest results page, so check the following link:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx

Thanks for adding your voice to our mission “Changing the World . . . One Story at a Time” and keep writing.

Sincerely,
Rebecca Thiegs
StageofLife.com Co-Founder and Education Consultant
Posted: Monday, February 3, 2014 8:51:46 PM
Rate this:
Comment by thiegsr

The votes are in, and I would like to extend a huge congratulations to you for being selected as the 1st place winner of January 2014: Hopes and Fears Letter writing contest.

You should be incredibly proud of this accomplishment because we had to make tough decisions for this contest, since so many great writers participated.

I will be contacting you via your registration email regarding your prizes and featured placement status on the site.

If you would like to see all the results, we will post them on the contest results page by Feb. 28th:
http://www.stageoflife.com/Writing_Contests/WritingContestWinners.aspx
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 5:12:13 PM
Rate this:
Comment by evanscd

Thank you so much!
Posted: Wednesday, February 12, 2014 8:21:47 PM
Rate this:
Comment by I Am Hebe.com

Congratulations! Your amazing work has been featured on www.iamhebe.com.

I Am Hebe is a blogsite targeted toward young adults interested in the Humanities. Our articles include extraordinary work in writing, film, art, and public speaking and we only post articles that will appeal to our young adult audience. The editorial staff at I Am Hebe found your work in this piece noteworthy. It has been included in an article on our site!

We love what you did with including so much of yourself into this piece, especially when you talk about updating your Twitter feed and getting sucked into your phone. Its something we are all guilty of. Consider us a fan of yours.

Congratulations again, and, with your approval, we will be on the lookout for more work you produce in the future.

Check out the article we wrote about you here.

Sincerely,
N. Todd
Founder and CEO of I Am Hebe
Posted: Monday, March 3, 2014 7:17:02 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for college students that allows Millennials the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for college students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about college students, quotes about college, and other resources about college here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a college professor - review our Creative Writing Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy