My heroes are Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon

mog1230
When someone says hero the first thing that comes to mind is usually a super hero or some star athelete, someone that kids can look at and say "when I grow up I want to be just like him." But to me a hero is someone who goes beyond themselves so that someone else can benefit, no matter what the cost. Two men who lived that out were Randy Shughart and Gary Gordon, delta force snipers who were involved in the conflict in Mogadishu Somalia in the fall of 1993. Amidst the chaos and heat of combat a united states helicopter was shot by an enemy RPG, it plummeted to the ground crashing in a heap of twisted metal. The crazed villagers converged on the downed helicopter in an angry mob. From a birds eye view Shughart and Gordon watched the scene below them play out knowing what would happen to the stranded crew should the enraged crowd reach them. But instead of watching they volunteered to come to the aid of the victims knowing full well the insurmountable odds they faced without even knowing whether or not there were survivors. They got to the crash site and set up a perimeter of defense until they were overwhelmed. Due to their selfless heroism pilot Mike Durant survived. There is no greater heroism than someone who lays down his life for another, their sacrifice was a picture of courage I desire to imitate and for that they are my heroes.
Comment by pdbjakaphillip

I think you did a great job in expressing the way you feel about your heroes. Please keep up the good work.
Posted: Friday, September 10, 2010 3:50:23 AM
Comment by Guest

Posts: 2,760
Shoot, so that's that one supopess.
Posted: Saturday, December 31, 2011 1:38:33 PM