STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My favorite TV show: Jewel in the Palace Showed me the Jewel of my Life

haelan
I haven’t seen TV for five years. However, there is one TV show that will always shine in my memory: Jewel in the Palace. It is a South Korean television series that came out when I was still a child, but I have never been able to forget it since.

Jewel in the Palace was based on the true story of Jang-geum, the first female royal physician of the Joseon Dynasty. She is an orphan who rises above intrigue and betrayal to learn the secrets of Korean cooking and medicine and overcome a rigidly patriarchal Korean society.

I watched Jewel in the Palace when my mother was depressed and lonely, a suffering I resented; and I was beginning to feel truly stifled in my mother-country. My dream was to become an English writer, but I felt trapped by an education of route memorization where I had to teach myself English for years without any help. My friends were like caged birds possessing the beautiful plumage of perfect GPAs…but my song was different. I was desperate to fly away – or give up.

In this depressing situation, Jewel in the Palace wrenched at my heart like no TV show ever did before. As an orphan girl with centuries of prejudice working against her, Jang-Geum had no hope of becoming a physician or cook, but she worked nonstop with a passion and perseverance that challenged me. Though her parents died, her friend betrayed her, and she even lost her sense of taste – a prerequisite for a cook – she never gave up. Just because my environment isn’t conducive to my dreams doesn’t mean I should give up. A new creed became mine: a hope that fate and my dreams might collide.

I also came to fall in love with Korea. I had never realized the richness or depth of Korean culture, but learning about Korean royal court cuisine and the fascinating complexities of traditional Korean medicine, I began to appreciate just how beautiful my culture was, and felt a pang of remorse for my coldness towards own country. A true writer possesses not merely impressive technique, but love and understanding.

Best of all, watching Jewel in the Palace created a special bond between my mother and me. We shared a quiet intimacy as we snuggled in front of the computer sipping tea and enjoyed the episodes together. In the scene where Jang-Geum pressed a handful of crushed berries into the lips of her mother, who died for her, I turned to see tears trickling down my mother’s eyes; I leaned over and hugged her hard. I felt a rush of gratitude that I, unlike Jang-Geum, had a truly loving mother to support me every step of the way to fulfilling my dreams. Before we knew it, our hurts had been washed away, and healing had begun. Jewel in the Palace had sifted through the dirt to uncover the sparkle of so many jewels in my life, and I felt – and still feel – profoundly grateful.
Rate this:
Comment by sugar95

I think it's really cool how a television show was able to help you cope with your own problems in life. It was really cool to hear your story and see how someone else's trials can help you in your own.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:18:26 PM
Rate this:
Comment by haelan

@sugar95: thank you for your kind comments!:) I'm glad you enjoyed reading about my experience~^-^
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 3:51:24 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected the first place winner for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

We will be in touch soon via email regarding your prizes.

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:49:21 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy