My Favorite TV Show: Big Bang Theory, Hilarious, Strange, and Addicting

adeliemelon
Big Bang Theory. Hilarious. Strange. Addicting.
Four nerdy scientists in their twenties at a Los Angeles University with a hot, popular waitress next door is never a good combination. Leonard, Raj, Sheldon, and Howard are socially inept Halo addicts, Star trek geeks, and physics prodigies. Penny is a failed actress, community college drop-out, and a waitress at the Cheesecake Factory. Leonard, Raj, and Howard are always trying to ingratiate themselves into Penny’s social class, while Sheldon believes himself to be mentally above everyone else. Their social and educational gaps and the stark contrast between their lifestyles create comical conflicts and situations that would never arise for normal people.
This show is distinctive because of their characters. Each of the guys possesses strange, albeit unrealistic, qualities while Penny is placed among them as a contrast and reliable viewpoint. She represents the “normal one,” the only one in their group that we can relate to. She makes us feel comfortable with the other characters, and we laugh as she frankly and bluntly shoots down their attempts to connect with her. This show’s main selling point is how they try to interact with each other, but only row the boat farther away.
Sheldon is a physics genius, and he flaunts it. He scoffs at the simplicity of his colleagues, but is childish, stubborn, and immature in some ways. For example, he has a certain spot on the couch he absolutely MUST have, and he whimpers and squirms and fidgets whenever he is forced to sit somewhere else. As if being so obsessive-compulsive isn’t enough, he is incapable of detecting irony or sarcasm: “I’m not insane, my mother had me tested.” He lacks common sense, and his vocabulary consists greatly of scientific terms. He often uses scientific references for explanations and anecdotes that leave the receiver lost and confused, and his jokes can only be identified when he uses his catchphrase “Bazinga!” He always means well, and that shows through, but the way he goes about it portrays him as a rigid, oblivious, tactless person. “Apparently, I’m in some kind of relationship, and you seem to be an expert in ending them” is how he asks for Penny’s advice.
Leonard, Howard, and Raj are no picnic as well. Leonard is the standard nice guy who likes the popular girl (Penny), but is so awkward and cringe-worthy he arouses more of her sympathy than her love. He holds his friends together, and is always the understanding, lenient one. Raj can’t talk to women, and is mute when Penny is around.Howard is one of those people who thinks they’re “all that,” but he’s actually just pathetic, arrogant, and off-turning. He tries to get a girl by comparing her to pumpernickel, which “in German, loosely translates into ‘fart goblin.’” He is a good comical distraction from intense situations.
This show enforces the idea that everyone can get along. There are people out there with different points of view and outlooks on life, and everyone will be accepted.
Comment by otaku094

You speak very intelligently about the comical television show and its characters to a point of pure information a scientist could like and enjoy, for I also enjoy the show very much and can't wait to see the latest episode. the one that always gets me laughing is when they find a movie prop Lord of the Rings ring and have a contest of getting it, the one part was when Raj and Howard go after his nema and then he tries to apply the Vulcan practice to suppress his feelings till a point he started to fight back.

Live long and prosper adeliemelon
Posted: Tuesday, February 26, 2013 8:56:14 PM
Comment by youngcashee

The Big Bang Series is one of my favorite new shows. I don't understand the show sometimes because they use too big of words for me. On the other hand it is helping me learn new words. It is a great show.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:18:48 PM
Comment by dholliday

I think the Big Bang Theory is a great show and I agree that it is funny. I like how they are all so weird and hang out with penny trying to fit in. It just makes them look even more like a bunch of crazy scientists and does show how everyone can fit in together in one way or another.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 3:26:20 PM
Comment by golf girl

I so love Big Bang Theory..... Penny is way funny... But I Love Sheldon he is way funny....
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 6:48:57 PM
Comment by KtotheA

Big band theory has its own twist into the "nerd" life! i hope that there is no one like Sheldon! im glad they had penny and Leonard get together because it makes it fell more like real life! and i love how they but different races together to show other can be friends! all around a great show.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:14:43 PM
Comment by Lb34

I also am a huge fan of the big bang theory. The mind who was able to base a comedy series over the social awkwardness of 4 nerds who live next to a hot girl is a pure genius. It makes me proud to call myself a nerd!
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:21:56 PM
Comment by littlebubba397

i defentaly feel the same way it is very weird but strangly addicting for some reason i just cant stop watching it. but it is a funny and good movie so it is ok.
Posted: Wednesday, February 27, 2013 9:22:39 PM
Comment by mblackhorse7

I don't watch TV very much, but when I do, I usually end up watching the big bang theory or how I met your mother. I watch the big ban all the time but i never really notice the idea of the show you brought up. I didn't really notice that they the show is showing that different people can get along and be friends until I read your post. I also didn't know what pumpernickel meant until I read your post either. I think you did a really good job summing up the show in such a short post, i didn't go on and on.
Posted: Thursday, February 28, 2013 7:01:26 PM
Comment by jumble1

I don't really like big bang theory but I always enjoy watching it, because Sheldon is funny. Always getting picked on by his friend, but the best part of it is when he out smarts his friend. And his cool saying "BAZINGA!!!”
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 4:38:12 PM
Comment by RedTwist

I never really got into The Big Bang Theory, but that Is probably due to the fact that I am on the computer more than I watch TV. But I can tell that you like humorous shows that still have a more cunning jokes that surround the online community. Speaking of Community, I think that you will be able to appreciate this show because it shares some of the same characteristics as The Big Bang Theory. Community is most likely my most favorite TV show that is still on air today.
Posted: Friday, March 1, 2013 7:28:49 PM
Comment by Smiley

This is one awesome show, I love this show its funny. It makes me want to show the real me, a Star Wars, DC Comic geek. It would be cool to have friends like that, all nerdy and smart. The Big Bang Theory is a show that I can never stop watching, because it's too funny and awesome. It's funny when Sheldon and Penny pick on each other.
Posted: Monday, March 4, 2013 4:20:13 PM