My Favorite TV Show: Gossip Girl; the Life I Envy, and Despise

gngguarnieri
Since the beginning of time catharsis has been the base of tragedy. Catharsis is the “purging of emotions.” In a tragedy, your emotions are played and manipulated. Gossip Girl is a TV show about “Manhattan’s elite,” and their life on the Upper-East side. Growing up in a small suburban town in central Maryland, life was pretty constant for me. There was not really a sense of drama, or tragedy. I was an introvert; I rarely participated in class, and floated through the day as a wallflower. Gossip Girl took all the viewers senses and emotions and played with them. Gossip Girl acted as a messenger, revealing secrets and creating situations of irony that were unpredictable. Although the characters of Gossip Girl had their flaws, they all seemed perfect to me. This was an awakening for me. Everyone is perfect in their own ways, as long as you believe you are unbreakable, then others will believe it too. I envied the characters of Gossip Girl, and how "perfect" they came off to be, but at the same time I despised them. I despised them for letting the elements of tragedy created by Gossip Girl get to them. I loved Gossip Girl because of the different view it allowed me to analyze on life. Life is difficult, life is hard, and overall, life is a tragedy, for everyone. Everyone has their problems, and it is up to you to take control of them. If you really want something in life, you will take advantage of it, and follow your dreams, and there is nothing that can stop you if you truly believe in yourself. Life is a journey, and no matter where you come from, your destination is the only place that matters.