The reason I hate Kansas winters

OliviaZZZ5
Last night, I got a lecture on taking more responsibility around the house. In my defense, I've never forgotten to take out the trash before. Anyway, to appease my parents, I offered to shovel the driveway (we were expecting snow last night into this morning). I wish I had looked at the forecast before I offered.

6:30 am - A light dusting of snow and flakes are barely falling. I can still see slate grey concrete underneath the snow.

7:00 am - The snow is heavier now, but only about an inch of snow has accumulated so far. I figure I'll eat breakfast before heading out to shovel.

7:30 am - Somehow, in the span of half an hour and one whole wheat bagel with peanut butter, the twirling, dancing snowflakes became a mini-blizzard. Now the bone-white poplar tree blends in with the steady torrent of snow. At 6:30, the sky was dusting the Earth with snow. Now, it's dumping down buckets of snow.

8:00 am - Don't let small dogs outside. If they burrow into the snow, you'll never be able to find them.

8:30 am - If you have friends in the Caribbean on vacation, I wouldn't recommend looking at their tweets and Instagram pictures. It made me question why my parents ever decided to move from Florida. #freezing

9:00 am - Option #1: Shovel now while the snow and wind whip my face numb. Option #2: Wait for the snow to stop and shovel eight extra inches.

11:00 am - I have a throbbing lower back, stiff fingers, and ears and a nose redder than a firetruck. Progress: 50%

12:00 - I'm finally finished, no thanks to the neighbor three houses down who used his fancy snow blower and finished his driveway in 45 minutes. I'm sure he saw me wistfully staring at the snow blower while I clumsily wielded a heavy metal shovel. He is most definitely not winning Neighbor of the Year.

After a steaming cup of hot chocolate and ten minutes parked by the heater, I'm getting that tingling feeling in my extremities. Hopefully, I'll be able to feel my toes in another half hour.

1:00 pm - I changed out of my sweat-soaked shirt and pulled on dry pair of pants and socks. I looked out the window to proudly evaluate my accomplishment.

It started snowing again.
You've got to be kidding me.