My favorite TV show: The Biggest Loser makes me feel healthy, socially accepted, and hopeful.

thesewordispeak
I was flipping through a large book full of Grimm’s Fairy Tales and saw a story called “Lazy Hary.” “Harry was lazy, and although he had nothing else to do but drive his goat daily to pasture, he nevertheless groaned when he went home after his day’s work was done,” (Jacob Ludwig Grimm and Wilhelm Carl Grimm). This story was written near 1812, but every child still has a want, all the way to 2013, to do something less laborious. In Harry’s case, to sease work would make him happy. In my case, I watch The Biggest Loser. But, Why? The three reasons why I can’t stop watching The Biggest Loser are also major components of a fairy tale: a villain or judge, goal, and happy ending.
Many people in the world judge too often and worry about how they look constantly. People join The Biggest Loser team to feel more comfortable in their skin. I watch this show for the same reason. I want to make myself feel better, so I point out the tiny details on a person and convince myself that these details are gruesome and hideous, when in reality I think the same thing towards the person looking back at me in the mirror. I cannot stop watching this show because I want to feel better about myself, my clothing, and my looks when I know everyone is free to judge.
There is a wide spread of what is socially acceptable, and kids have a goal to become the definition of that. The strain to become this perfect image of ‘cool’ is so huge that you may just end up tearing your life apart. I see these horrible stories of how people have to live, and I feel sorry for them, but I thrive to watch this show because I also feel like I am not as rejected as I make them in my mind.
When I watch The Biggest Loser, I learn that there is a happy ending. I gain awareness that even the hardest obstacles in life can be shredded into dust; even if I have to use a chain saw versus a plastic knife. (The latter tool requires less effort.) The possibility and knowledge of a better ending gives me hope. I need this hope so that each blockage looks a lot more benign.
I know that there is a tacit state of mind that teens have; while in reality they might need to watch a TV show to feel better about themselves. The Biggest Loser is therapy for the contenders; they start a new life. But, it is also therapy for me; I feel confident in how I look, how smart I am, and how socially acceptable I am.
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Love the comparison of Biggest Loser to a fairy tale. It is a very heart warming show!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:01:45 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:57:18 PM