STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite TV Show: "Breaking Bad" has me Breaking Curfews

sb14
Society naturally dissects things in hopes of unveiling common qualities. Many television shows leave us transiently entertained, but few boast stirring an emotional connection to the very plot of the program.

I will admit that viewing a financially-challenged chemistry teacher who combats the expenses of chemotherapy for his cancer through applying his chemical expertise to become an esteemed and eventually arrogant methamphetamine cook who gradually and violently promotes himself to the ruler of the Southwest U.S. drug scheme, all the while being sought after by his own DEA brother-in-law, is a bit hard, if not impossible, to relate to.

Yet, looking deeper into the psychological implications reveals many similar elements to our own situations, at least personally.

My heart ached with grief from Walter White's medical and financial predicament. As he began involving himself with the sale of meth as a cry for help, I continued to support his character. I rooted for his reasoning like the typical fan would. However, this chain of reactions seemingly every TV show follows was broken when the show branched off other story lines, testing my faithfulness to the character. Walter's simply trying to assure a secure future for his family. But, what about everything he's neglecting? He hasn't informed his wife. He's lying to his entire family. He's sabotaging the his brother-in-law's efforts. He's committing crimes at a shocking rate, and this exposure is in turn numbing him to the crimes themselves.

My faith in Walter had been misplaced, done utterly intentionally by the masterminds behind the makings of this show. Walter had metamorphosed, from a lovely protagonist to a hated antagonist, leading me to question the very definition of the word, "bad."

Many elements of the show spoke to me. The unfaithful response of Walter's wife to his lies was justified, yet Walter's heartbroken reaction to the misunderstanding rendered me empathetic to his situation. Yet even more, as his psychological breakdown and his wife's metaphorical confinement progressed, I found myself sympathizing with Skylar for Walter's greedy obsession. I related with the son's disheartening emotions to being snatched away from his father without reason, how he felt clueless about his own life. I felt the ambition in cell in Uncle Hank's body, his angst every time he grew so narrowly close to the shocking answer to his Heisenberg case. I felt Jesse's pain, the emotional torture he put constantly put himself through. I felt the self-rebellion he endured with the loss of his loved ones, with his disbelief of the range of victims death inflicted mercilessly.

I felt it all.

What's equally commendable about this show is it's execution of events. All the plot twists, the symbolism, the simple yet powerful foreshadowing, the ingenious camerawork: all delivered perfectly. It sculpts the audience's reactions exquisitely, treating the brilliance of the plot with utmost respect. It toys with your response and anticipates emotional reactions perfectly, using this predicting ability to its advantage as a means of catalyzing the ultimate response from the viewer, from me.

Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Breaking Bad is one of the greatest cable shows to pop up. Nice essay on a complicated story!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:04:36 PM
Rate this:
Comment by sb14

I completely agree, it's a brilliant show! Thank you!
Posted: Thursday, March 14, 2013 8:21:58 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a second place winner for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

We will be in touch soon via email regarding your prizes.

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:50:03 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy