My Favorite TV Show: How Glee Has Changed ME

pearlemerson
Glee. Some people think it’s melodramatic, some people think they ruin songs, and some people think it’s just not that realistic. And, I mean, it’s a TV show. It’s not supposed to realistic. But, for a matter of fact, it has made me become more comfortable with who I am.
I’m a die-hard theater geek. So I know that the only way I’m going to become a better actress is to be as comfortable as I can in my own skin. That doesn’t leave much room to be worried about if those girls are whispering about me over there. I guess you could say that before I started watching Glee, I had adapted to my surroundings. I just got over feeling worried in a place that wasn’t a theater. That was okay. But then Glee came on.
When I first started watching Glee, the beginning of the second season, I connected most with one of the lead characters, Rachel. Part of it was that she was a theater-geek, like me, part of it was that she was used to people putting her down, like me, but most of it was that despite the fact that everyone seemed to be against her, she didn’t care. It didn’t matter how many times she got a Slushy thrown at her face. She was NOT giving up her dream. She inspired me.
Rachel is not just a TV character to me. She represents the fact that sometimes when a door closes, another one doesn’t always open, and you might just have to push that closed door down. For example, when the college of her dreams turned her down. She found a way to prove herself and get in anyway. Rachel has taught me life is hard, but the trade-off of just not trying is harder. She has shown me that you can’t always get what you want, but you can try.
Glee, as a whole, represents that you are no one without friends who stand by you. And that’s another way Glee has impacted my life. Before Glee, I had friends, but not until afterwards did I realize that I did not cherish them enough. Glee has shown me that you can’t take anything, or anyone for granted. Also, you have to find the people who impact your life in the littlest of ways and thank them, or they might leave, and you would have never even known they were there.
To sum this all up, I guess what I’m trying to say is that Glee has shown me that being me is a beautiful thing, and to be successful in life, as a person, I need friends who realize it too. I don’t think Glee taught me this on purpose, but the show has guided me to be comfortable in my own skin, and that is a lesson I’m glad I’ve learned.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:02:38 PM
Comment by whaleslikebaroque15

I love Glee, too! And for many of the same reasons.
Posted: Sunday, April 28, 2013 2:38:34 AM