My Favorite Show: Modern Family, when I steal the remote, and there’s no compromising

My favorite show may not be a hidden gem that nobody’s heard of. No, instead it's a supernova, one of America's most watched TV shows. It's relatable, funny, and creative. Every Wednesday I hide out in the basement to watch Modern Family and if the mountain of homework I get from school prevents me from doing so, I catch up via internet. It’s easy enough for me to tell you how much I love the show but why do I make such an effort to get my fix of Modern Family every week? The comedy takes us through the ups and downs of life. It's not just for teens either, but compelling for the whole family. Phil is the somewhat clueless but caring dad. He's married to Sara, an energetic mother of three kids. The smart, nerdy younger sister Alex is the complete opposite of her party-girl sister, Haley. The youngest, Luke, is the mischievous, clever little brother. When they're not annoying the hell out of each other they would probably admit that they love each other. The other members of the family are the quirky gay couple, Mitchell and Cameron, their adopted daughter Lily, Mitchell's father, Jay, his Latino wife, Gloria, and her son, Manny. I love how the characters talk directly to the camera in separate clips from the main plot, making me feel like a distant relative in their lovely, imperfect family. My favorite episode, if I’m forced to choose, is "Punkin Chunkin", the thanksgiving episode for 2011. The family divides into the dreamers and realists. After launching a pumpkin in a giant slingshot, and hitting a car in a heated contest between the two groups they realize that the dreamers need the realists to keep them from floating off and the realists need the dreamers to get them off the ground. They make each episode hilarious, but there's another level of complexity in addition to the comicalness. The show addresses important issues such as "Seriously, Gryffindor letting his mom carry his Quidditch pole, how Hufflepuff is that?" and "What's the square root of this potato?" The answer’s eight.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:03:54 PM

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.