My Favorite TV Show: How I Met Your Mother...for the 18th time.

gracechi4
For the longest time, I haven’t experienced an over-crazed addiction to any particular TV show. Flipping through channels, the same old cliché story lines consistently filled the small screen. There’s no gnawing urge to say “One more episode… than I’ll start my French homework,” when we all know that by the end of the day, season one’s slaughtered and the next season’s already popped into the DVD player. However, the moment my friend introduced to me “How I Met Your Mother” (HIMYM) at a sleepover, I became a fool for the next week.
As I dived into the world of the cast, nothing halted me from leaving my room, except maybe for some water or a bite of food – I stand corrected, according to my mother, I was nothing but a waste of space, sucking precious air. So, the cycle – eat, sleep, remote – continued until I finished the last available season. What led to this coma induced state? What caused me to waste 4,800 minutes, or 80 hours, of my life for this unproductive and embarrassing truth? In retrospect, HIMYM contained the same recycled material and bellying aching laughs as other shows, and honestly, I became annoyed. I mean really, how many girls would Ted date before revealing the true story of how he met his wife? Even with these flaws, I had to finish it because of one actor: Neil Patrick Harris, or the greatest man on television. Plot, music, and all other critical points of a great story aside, NPH, as I affectionately refer to him, epitomized the show. The reason I watched the countless idiotic moves of Ted Mosby, the reason why I dealt with the unnecessary break up of Lily and Marshall, was due to NPH”s charisma and warmth he brought to the character. I could not imagine Barney as anyone else but him. If an actor could encompass a role that well, the audience cannot help but enter their reality and join in with the fun. The same applies to the other actors as well. Although they’re not my favorite, all of them bring life and heart to the characters, causing me to care about them and disregard their stupidity.
Obviously, Hollywood repeats horrible plot devices, but I always coming back for more because even though I don’t always remember the names or events of the show, I always remember how I felt. The emotions I’ve experienced due to the show always linger in my mind because of the actor’s interpretation and portrayal of the characters. Thus, I will come back and watch out for Ted’s 18th girlfriend, and maybe even his 300th girlfriend. As Barney would say, the show is always and will be in my heart “legend… wait for it and I hope you're not lactose intolerant because the second half of that word is DAIRY!”