My Favorite TV Show: Victorious Teaches Me to Be Myself

madisvictorious
As a junior in high school, most would expect me to be into shows such as Gossip Girl or Pretty Little Liars, shows that showcase what real teen life is like, albeit with a bit of exaggeration; however, it is nice, at least for me, to step away from real life and into a world of fame, a world of laughs, a world called Victorious. On this Nickelodeon television show, a group of high schoolers showcase their talents and have entertaining adventures at an arts-oriented high school. Although it was recently cancelled, it is one of Nickelodeon’s top shows, and I cannot seem to turn it off.

For one, the cast is supremely talented. Two of the lead cast members, Ariana Grande and Elizabeth Gillies, starred on Broadway before the show. Victoria Justice, the star and a singer by design, is beginning her second countrywide tour this summer. Matt Bennett, another cast member, does comedy shows nearly every week. Despite their prevalence on a children’s network, they possess real talent that is showcased multiple times on the show, with catchy songs and better-than-average acting.

The messages that are conveyed are also relevant to teenagers like myself. With quotes such as “Normal’s boring” and messages that tell teenagers to be themselves, pursue their dreams, along with episodes that address teenage issues such as social media addiction and being confident in one’s own abilities, this show is not only entertaining, it also teaches things that you just cannot learn in school.

The characters showcase the many personalities in a normal high school, but they also are interesting, funny characters that develop over the course of the show, such as Jade West, the show’s ‘antagonist’ who, on more than one occasion, displays heartbreaking insecurity and ends up being the good guy. Tori Vega, who at first is entirely selfish, ends up altruistically giving up things for her friends and learning to put others before herself. The characters display impressive amounts of maturity over time, and their interesting personalities make for some entertaining plots, such as the time all of them ended up stuck in an RV. Aside from that, the relationships between characters give the show a dynamic like no other; Jade and Beck share a relationship that can be incredibly adorable on occasion, and the friend or enemy dynamic between Jade and Tori evokes both laughter and speculation. There is also a lot of imagination that goes into watching this show; the show leaves a lot of space for creativity and deciding yourself what happens after the episodes.

The show may be classified as a show for children, but as for me, I enjoy it more than the majority of the sex-centered, inappropriate shows on television today. Victorious is a show that can be enjoyed by all ages, not just teenagers, and the wacky plots, amazing cast, and interesting characters display that all the more.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:14:26 PM