My Favorite TV Show: How Doctor Who Has Won My Hearts

LavedaVida
There is one TV show that has completely changed my life. It took over my thoughts, my room, and my DVD collection. That show is Doctor Who.

When I started watching Doctor Who, I never thought it would become as important to me as it has. It was just a silly show about a daft old man flying through time and space in a blue police box. There was no way it would change my life the way that it did. Or so I thought.

I first watched Doctor Who on TV, starting with season five. But when I finished season five, I knew I had to get the rest of it. I had to find out what had happened in the previous seasons. I had to know about this man’s past. Soon I was watching a season a week, and it became my favorite show. Despite the fact that it was about a two-hearted alien flying around in a time machine, fighting monsters of all different races, from human, to shadow, to stone, I related to it. I fell in love with the characters.

Doctor Who is the show that has sent me into fits of ungainly, ugly sobbing over the death of a character. It’s the show that has struck fear into my heart the moment I see a stone angel or a person with two shadows. It’s the show that has left me speechless, amazed. It’s the kind of show that makes me jump up and down in excitement or terror, the kind of show that has left me curled on the floor, my face streaked with tears.

Doctor Who is the show that led me to meet some of my best friends. It’s the show that helped to solidify a long friendship that was wavering on the brink of demolition, bringing me and my friend closer than ever. It’s the show that inspired me to dress up as a time machine for Halloween, the show that led me to buy t-shirts and posters, figurines and sonic screwdrivers.

Doctor Who has honestly changed my life. Every new episode makes me smile and teaches me something new. It taught me that everyone is important, that everyone has a reason to live, that friendship and trust are wildly important. It makes me laugh and cry. It makes me want to go out and explore the world, have amazing experiences, and meet new people. And not only does it make me want to do that, but it has allowed me to do it.

Doctor Who has changed my life in more ways than I can say in five hundred words. It’s changed my outlook on life, my thoughts on people and places, and has, I think, changed me for the better.
Comment by michness

I had a dream the other night that Nine came to whisk me away on space adventures. So bummed it didn't happen :(
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:01:35 AM
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Dr. Who was the first tv show I got hooked on!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:15:29 PM
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:59:19 PM