STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite TV Show: How Doctor Who Has Won My Hearts

LavedaVida
There is one TV show that has completely changed my life. It took over my thoughts, my room, and my DVD collection. That show is Doctor Who.

When I started watching Doctor Who, I never thought it would become as important to me as it has. It was just a silly show about a daft old man flying through time and space in a blue police box. There was no way it would change my life the way that it did. Or so I thought.

I first watched Doctor Who on TV, starting with season five. But when I finished season five, I knew I had to get the rest of it. I had to find out what had happened in the previous seasons. I had to know about this man’s past. Soon I was watching a season a week, and it became my favorite show. Despite the fact that it was about a two-hearted alien flying around in a time machine, fighting monsters of all different races, from human, to shadow, to stone, I related to it. I fell in love with the characters.

Doctor Who is the show that has sent me into fits of ungainly, ugly sobbing over the death of a character. It’s the show that has struck fear into my heart the moment I see a stone angel or a person with two shadows. It’s the show that has left me speechless, amazed. It’s the kind of show that makes me jump up and down in excitement or terror, the kind of show that has left me curled on the floor, my face streaked with tears.

Doctor Who is the show that led me to meet some of my best friends. It’s the show that helped to solidify a long friendship that was wavering on the brink of demolition, bringing me and my friend closer than ever. It’s the show that inspired me to dress up as a time machine for Halloween, the show that led me to buy t-shirts and posters, figurines and sonic screwdrivers.

Doctor Who has honestly changed my life. Every new episode makes me smile and teaches me something new. It taught me that everyone is important, that everyone has a reason to live, that friendship and trust are wildly important. It makes me laugh and cry. It makes me want to go out and explore the world, have amazing experiences, and meet new people. And not only does it make me want to do that, but it has allowed me to do it.

Doctor Who has changed my life in more ways than I can say in five hundred words. It’s changed my outlook on life, my thoughts on people and places, and has, I think, changed me for the better.
Rate this:
Comment by michness

I had a dream the other night that Nine came to whisk me away on space adventures. So bummed it didn't happen :(
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2013 8:01:35 AM
Rate this:
Comment by Girlboxer1970

Dr. Who was the first tv show I got hooked on!
Posted: Tuesday, March 12, 2013 11:15:29 PM
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 4:59:19 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy