STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite TV Show: Though I'd Like to Think I Watch Grey's Anatomy for the Medicine...

kristiana27
It has become a given in my household that at approximately ten at night on Thursdays, you will undoubtedly find me sprawled across the couch, silently weeping to myself. To anyone outside of my immediate family, this pitiful spectacle might ignite genuine concern over my mental health. To my family, however, this is just a standard, run-of-the-mill, post Grey’s Anatomy occurrence. During these wonderfully humiliating several minutes of my Thursday night, I am typically rehashing a slew of events that materialized several minutes earlier and questioning the motives of the show runners. Whether my favorite couple had simply called it quits for the umpteenth time on their on-again, off-again relationship or I had just watched a villainous ex-patient gun down my beloved fictional hospital, I’m always a complete wreck. Each week, I promise myself that it will be the last time I put myself through this vicious circle of events; yet, somehow, I always end up back on that couch, wondering how once again I had let myself become consumed in this delirium where my fictional and real worlds collided. But this collision, I have realized, is what keeps me coming back. As much as I like to think that I don’t, I genuinely like the feeling of being so engrossed in something that I lose the world around me for forty minutes a week. Being a realist, it is rare to find a show that has that affect on me. In fact, at times, Grey’s has even brought out the completely unrealistic in me- especially when it had me convinced that I could not only be a world class orthopedic surgeon, but I could do it all with perfectly quaffed hair, looking tan and beautiful with attractive colleagues begging to take me home.
I wish I could say that I watch Grey’s because I want to be a medical student, or because the rare cases interest me immensely. The truth is, as much as I like to think that, I watch for the characters that are so beautifully cultivated that, sometimes, I like to think of them as people I know personally. I watch for the patient cases that somehow, unquestionably, coincide seamlessly with character’s personal lives and end up forcing me to reevaluate all my life decisions. The reason why, nine seasons later, I have not given up on Grey’s despite the fact that most everyone else has, is that these characters are very human to me. Sure, they do have the quaffed hair and the crazily attractive significant others, but I have watched them grow up, and have grown along with them. I have seen them make mistakes, lose each other, find each other, and discover their talents as surgeons. Somehow, their very honest, authentic love and loss throughout the years makes me believe that even us people who don’t have someone write our lives for us will end up just fine.
Rate this:
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:03:17 PM
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy