My Favorite TV Show: Candy-Colored Ponies (From My Little Pony) Make Me Wish for Peace

rosenwingedscribe
A decade ago, liking a show intended for little girls would be absurd for a high school student. Today, not much has changed. Sure, the fandom dubbed "bronies" has imprinted itself in the media, over the internet, and in whispered gossip, but it hasn't been accepted. Personally, I don't see the problem.
Years ago, if you'd have told me I'd be a huge fan of My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic, I may have laughed. Cartoons were always one of my favorite things to watch, but ponies? That was for little kids. Now, however, I find myself eagerly awaiting the next Saturday when a new episode will premier. But why am I, among many others, so fond of this show?
There isn't one sole answer to this question. The animation is at a high quality, far greater than most cartoons nowadays. Though it may be difficult to believe, the plots are fantastic, and despite nearing the end of my high school career, I learn something with each episode, something valuable about friendship. I can relate to most if not all of the characters, and yes, it seems odd. But it's true. I wouldn't give up this show for the world.
No, it isn't exactly the most popular choice for entertainment in my generation, not when Jersey Shore was the running favorite for quite some time, but it's mine. The values expressed and the characters portrayed are simply wonderful, and while the land they live in isn't a utopia, the candy-colored ponies of Equestria work together to maintain peace and happiness. I just wish our world could do the same.
Comment by Nate DeRose

Congratulations! You’ve been selected a semi-finalist for the February writing contest: "Why Can't I Stop Watching My Favorite TV Show?"

Don’t forget to share your story and show your accomplishment on your Facebook, Twitter, and other social media!

Thanks for submitting and we look forward to your future submissions.
Posted: Wednesday, April 3, 2013 5:05:16 PM