My Favorite TV Show: The Adolescent World of Skins UK

I lay back and grab the remote from my step-dad’s ottoman. The TV turns on with a flicker of LCD static. My feet rest plainly on top of the coffee table. He hates when I put my shoes on his furniture, but I’m not thinking. I am immersed in a pool of teenagedom, beautifully polluted with the throngs of naivete: drugs, sex, music, hormones, and anxiety. I swim around for awhile, embrace my surroundings. I find all kinds of people. Closeted homosexuals, religious fundamentalist, anorexics, manipulators, drug addicts, struggling academics, sluts, alcoholics, thugs, and scam artists, all stumbling through the arid dunes of adolescence.
Skins UK rightfully embraces these archetypes of the adolescent world. The series is categorically separated into 3 “generations” of friends in their 2 years of “6th form” in Bristol, England. The show emphasizes the massive changes and coping mechanisms that people go through in their late teens as they prepare for the university and the real world. But rather than restricting the characters to single stereotypical ideas, the producers strive to punch each character with as much chaotic complexity as they can. Like a fraying fabric that refuses to stay in one piece, more and more of the story is filled in with every episode. Simultaneously, more holes emerge as the characters a redefined on increasingly deeper levels of discussion. The lives of Cassie, Cook, Effie, Tony, Sid and many other central characters are inherently real and forever in motion, never getting a break from their peers, from their parents, from their drug dealers and teachers. It feels so painfully tangible to me. As Robert Lloyd of the LA Times put it, “Even as Skins strains credibility, it achieves moments of poetry.”
My admiration for Skins, however, is not only in it’s complex character base. The foundation of the series (and my praise) is rooted in the overshadowing teenage paradox: that while we destroy our lives with experimentation and the fervor of youth, we simultaneously create and set the foundations for our future. I think that’s an important encompassing statement, especially in a modern era as convoluted as ours. It is in this paradox that boys and girls become men and women. And it is in this paradox that all the archetypes of life have the opportunity to collide in the slowest and most beautiful train wreck I have ever seen, Skins UK.

About StageofLife.comAbout Us: is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of the monthly writing contests and teen trend reports from the last five years hosted by  Our dedication to digital literacy efforts have reached over 1,000,000 students and teachers in the last half decade, received mention on, and features in the news.  Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month. is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with you as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.