STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Favorite TV Show: Ned's Declassified School Survival Guide prepared me for middle school and more

Papples
While many people watched television for entertainment, I’ve always been the nerd who looked for those educational shows: Animal Planet, Discovery Channel, and news channels like NBC. However, I found myself also drawn to shows that could combine entertainment with education in unique ways. Instead of shows like the Justice League, with heroes constantly fighting evil villains, the one show that I had to replay again and again was Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide.
Ned’s Declassified followed middle school student, Ned Bigby, who had a survival guide in which he provided tips for stressed or troubled students. The episodes covered anything from love to weasels. Most of the plot revolved around Ned and his friends going through experiences that later became tips he summarized and added to his guide. The episodes were humorous, the tips were practical, and the cast was truly memorable. I still remember the minor characters like Coconut Head, a comical and unlucky classmate, and Suzie, Ned’s love interest. This show came out in 2004, around the time I was in 4th or 5th grade. Talk about perfect timing. Ned’s episodes gave me important tips that all lead me towards a successful middle school career. Some of the tips that I carried to high school include getting to know my teachers and making the most of time in the computer lab. In fact, I have around 70 of my own tips that I have taped on my wall based off of my own experiences. This habit was inspired by Ned’s guide.
While I was hoping the show would continue into high school to parallel my own transition, I realized that thanks to Ned, I became confident and ready to tackle high school even without a TV guide. Back then, I was extremely nervous about school: I wanted to be the straight A student and still attempt to be popular (or at least well-liked). What I really enjoyed about the show was the variety of characters and the stories behind each one. But by far, Ned was the most inspirational: he wasn’t anybody specially talented, smart, or popular. He was far from perfect: he made mistakes and at times opposed his own tips.
However, he had a moral compass unlike anyone else in the show. That’s what I really adopted from Ned’s Declassified. I learned the importance of owing up to your errors and fighting for the right causes. Too often we assume that the heroes are the ones who fight evil with superpowers or gadgets. Ned, to me, was a hero who was guilty of falling for those adverse temptations, but eventually rising above them. Furthermore, he used his experiences to teach his viewers right from wrong; a senior in high school, I find myself passing on advice to the underclassmen in a similar way. I’m going off to college without a survival guide, but because I watched Ned’s Declassified School Survival Guide, I’m going to college with the right set of morals.
Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy