My Thoughts On Newtown: Reason Is Protection

catlynm16
At this day in time, tragedy has become expected and as exemplified in the Newtown massacre, a life can change drastically within seconds without warning...no one to tell you that you will never see a family member again. This occurrence has brought forth the debate between gun control or gun rights. This is recognized as a strong debate and, once again, is becoming a hot topic.
I believe it to be completely necessary to protect yourself and your family, even if it means with a gun. As far as that goes, there should be a limited amount of guns per household; thus putting more limitations on any given situation. On the other hand, assault rifles should not be available for purchase by the public. Military and police personnel should be the only people able to access assault rifles, etc. No exceptions are to be made for civilian clearance to these types of weapons. This provides another source of protection to the public.
Protection should be the number one priority for schools in today's society. Tragedies happen everyday. Considering the fact that a school contains the lives of a future generation, that detail should be valued and every source of protection seen necessary. Even if it comes to each child remembering a certain series of numbers to press on a keypad lock, or having a card to scan that allows access into a building. Each possible suggestion should be considered. Especially after seeing what could happen in your home town, as shown by Newtown, everyone should use precaution.
The tragedy in Newtown was heartfelt to anyone who witnessed hearing of the story. I cannot begin to imagine the pain and sorry that the families and town of Sandy Hook are enduring to this day. Tragedies are unexpected, which is why everyone should be prepared.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey! I'm a college intern here at Stage of Life, and I have some pretty exciting news. Channel One News, an educational program in partnership with CBS News that reaches nearly six million students in 7,000 high schools across the US, is pulling a news story together on the gun debate.

They contacted StageofLife.com looking for teens who are pro-gun rights and live in or near New York, preferably close to New York City, to be interviewed.

They saw your essay on gun rights. If you live in New York and would be interested in being interviewed for this national news story - let us know and we'll put you in touch with the reporter. If you're interested, please reach out to us at news@stageoflife.com.

Thanks!

Laura