STAGE OF LIFE       Share Your Story       Coupons       Education Resources

My Thoughts on Newton: Guns Don’t Kill People, People Kill People.

john12
In many cases, when tragedy occurs people tend to react too quickly. They make decisions without thinking them through. The shooting in Newtown was very tragic, but I think that people are making too big of a deal out of it. Rushing a bill into Congress to prohibit guns in the United States is not going to stop all the gun violence. The leaders of our country need to take their time and come up with a plan that will be effective. If they do not, then it is not going to do anything, but cause more violence.
In my opinion, there is not a plan that will be 100% effective. If we take away guns we are going to punish the citizens who are following the law and not doing anything wrong. The criminals that carry out shootings like in Newtown do not buy their guns from registered dealers. They buy them off the street or from a gun show where there are no background checks. No matter what they decide to do, if a criminal wants to kill people they will find a way.
If there was one thing that I believe would decrease the amount of violence in America I would have to say it would start with video games. In today’s world, video games are not cool and fun unless they have violence all over them. Children have access to these games and think that it is what they are suppose to do and that it will okay to do it in real life. Also, the graphics that we have on video games are through the roof. They make you feel like you are apart of the game yourself. Sadly, the makers of these games do not care. All they want is their money. They are drilling violence into the heads of young children and adults. Their motto is the bloodier the game, the more fun it is. All in all, cutting down on the violence in video games would be a great start to help cut down on gun violence in America.
Many lawmakers are taking into consideration the thought of arming teachers with weapons. I do not agree with this. At any moment, a teacher can do the same thing as the individual in Newtown. Actually, if they do that it would make it easier for more school shootings to occur. If you ask me, I would say place metal detectors in every school and have searches randomly. At my school, we have 24 hour surveillance cameras and an on school sheriff deputy. My school is very safe and I am comfortable here while I am in school. In conclusion, there is nothing that we can do to stop violence altogether, but I do believe our leaders need to think their plans through and do the best that they can.

Rate this:

About StageofLife.comAbout Us:  StageofLife.com is a free blogging and writing community for high school students that allows teens the opportunity to share their personal stories and essays in an online life journal via their free Stage of Life account.  Check out our national Teen Trend Reports, and make sure to explore the writing contests for high school students, inspirational videos for teens, statistics about students, quotes about high school, and other resources about High School here on StageofLife.com.  Register to start your free writing profile, share an essay about your life, and help us change the world, one story at a time.  If you are a teacher - review our Language Arts Teaching Resources.

Writing Contest Archive - Students

Past Writing Contests and Teen Trend Reports

StageofLife.com Student Writing Contests

Below you will find all of our past writing contests and teen trend reports from the last four years. Feel free to click through and read the top essay submissions from any given month.  StageofLife.com is honored to be one of the most-visited writing contests for students in the world.  We love working with teachers, teens, and college students as we celebrate the journey as life-long readers and writers...

2014 Writing Contests

Stage of Life Mission Statement

2013 Writing Contests

2012 Writing Contests

2011 Writing Contests

2010 Writing Contests

Find Us on Facebook      Follow Us on Twitter     Read our Founder's Blog

StageofLife.com is an education-based, grassroots, non-partisan, free blogging community with a mission support digital literacy by making the world a better place, one story, essay, and blog at a time.  Stage of Life users (teens, college students, Millennials, Gen Y, Gen X, and Baby Boomers) can share and archive their life stories via their Stage of Life profile page.  Specialized content includes literacy resources, free lesson plans, writing prompts for Language Arts teachers, monthly writing contests for high school students (and older generations), student blogging initiatives, blog directories, and financial literacy tools - including Life Rewards® - our free discount program for all Stage of Life users, readers and writers dedicated to providing printable coupons and coupon codes tailored towards each stage of life.

Terms of Service and Privacy