Life After Newtown: Why Schools Are Better Off Without Guns

KelseyAN
The reaction following the Newtown, Connecticut tragedy highlights the need to dispel the myth that ‘more guns equal more protection.’ Specifically, our schools shouldn’t be armed encampments and students need to tell their administrators they want a gun free education.
Guns create a situation with more problems. No matter how good the shot, a person can’t hit a moving target in a high-stress situation every time. More guns mean more collateral damage. Look to the Aug. 24, 2012 Empire State Building shooting where, in an effort to kill a shooter, highly trained NYPD wounded nine innocent bystanders. If New York’s finest can’t take down a clear target without collateral damage, what is the average security guard going to do?
Not only do armed guards create a new target, but also security staff shoots second. They get shot at, but they’re not faster than a speeding bullet, we’re not going to have Superman on our security staff. Their effectiveness in an attack is questionable.
If guns are physically present on campus, there’s the possibility that people can get access to them. We want a world with less guns, not more. Students shouldn’t learn under the continuous and constant threat of flying bullets.
We’ve all heard from Wayne LaPierre, NRA Executive Vice President, that ‘the only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.’ But, the world isn’t divided into good people and bad people. We all have good and bad within us. We don’t want to have guns present when someone snaps. In a world with guns readily available, a person who snaps is able to act on that bad impulse. The gun is the enabler. Take away the catalyst, you take away the result.
Owning a gun is a constitutional right and must be treated with due seriousness. The Second Amendment says: “A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.” The Second Amendment is a deterrent to a military overthrow of the government; a check on the armed forces. If we’re arm authority everywhere, we enhance government power and undermine the very purpose of the amendment. The Framers Intent was to not have a police state. Having children pass armed guards every day into the schoolyard, our nations most egalitarian formative experience, is a huge step towards that police state.
We’re all looking to save lives, but there’s no need to entice a gun battle on the front-line of the K-yard. Students need to have their voices heard. It’s time that we take a stand for our own safety. Having guns on campus is a self-fulfilling prophecy. Let’s nip it at the bud. After all, nobody wants to be caught in the cross-fire of a raving maniac with a gun and Paul the Mall Cop.
Comment by seamstressofwords

Hey!

My name is Laura and I'm an intern at Stage of Life. I wanted to thank you for submitting your story to our "Where Do We Go After Newtown" writing contest, but more importunately, I want to congratulate you on being selected by our Editors as an essay finalist!

Watch this page http://www.stageoflife.com/gundebate.aspx for when we announce the winner.

Feel free to share this on Facebook, Twitter, your blog, or any other site you use. Share your accomplishment with the world!

Thanks for sharing your story on StageofLife.com.

Laura
Posted: Tuesday, February 19, 2013 6:05:55 PM